24 Essential Kitchen Tricks and Tips by Kenji Alt
  Re: (...)
I have always found Kenji's tips helpful so thought I'd share this link here. Kitchen Tricks and Tips
  Re: 24 Essential Kitchen Tricks and Tips by Kenji Alt by Cubangirl (I have always found ...)
Interesting ideas, Alina. Found 2 that I made note of - breaking egg into a small stainer and adding a little acid to mushrooms. The rest I pretty much do.

Thanks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 24 Essential Kitchen Tricks and Tips by Kenji Alt by cjs (Interesting ideas, A...)
They are good tips. However, I can't help but question the one about using pre-peeled garlic. Just can't bring myself to buy it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: 24 Essential Kitchen Tricks and Tips by Kenji Alt by Mare749 (They are good tips. ...)
Me either - I used it a lot when I was working, but was very glad to get back to regular.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 24 Essential Kitchen Tricks and Tips by Kenji Alt by cjs (Me either - I used i...)
I have actually done a side by side comparison, no difference in taste in dish. I use TJ's all the time. The only time I buy real heads now is when I am going to roast a head. Otherwise, for everything else I use the pre-peeled. Kenji used to work for America's Test Kitchen and he has developed some of my favorite recipes. That's why I trust this judgement. He has a book coming out next year.

I do all the things mentioned except the egg one (don't like soft eggs) and have not tried the cheese brine one but plan to do so. My next project after Jean's salami (scheduled for tomorrow) is to make homemade cheese. One of the sites suggested saving the leftover liquid for rice, etc. Same idea as above I think.
  Re: Re: 24 Essential Kitchen Tricks and Tips by Kenji Alt by Cubangirl (I have actually done...)
yes,do save the whey from the cheese - it's great for waffles, breads, pizza dough, many other uses.

I don't know if you're familiar with the site "Ricki, The Cheese Queen" - at cheesemaking.com, but their site is so full of ideas for the cheese maker. Have fun.
www.achefsjourney.com