Homemade Salami - Cheap & Dirty
  Re: (...)
I just made a 'version' of homemade salami - honest to God, it is so easy and fast. Perfect for on the road. I just took it out of the oven, so if it's any good.....I'll post more. It smells good, tho!

Mixed the ingred. yesterday, formed into logs and refrigerated overnight.
[Image: Aug21Salamitobake_zpsae32d1db.jpg]

Baked for 1/2 hour (recipe says an hour....) to 160°F. Now I'm trying to stay out of it for a few minutes.
[Image: Aug21Salamibaked_zps2fbcad68.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Homemade Salami - Cheap & Dirty by cjs (I just made a 'versi...)
I'm anxious to hear how you like this. I have a similar recipe using venison but haven't made it in quite a while.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Homemade Salami - Cheap & Dirty by Mare749 (I'm anxious to hear ...)
Here goes - The recipe I used.

[Image: Aug21Salamisliced_zps6c25ae67.jpg]

Homemade Beef Salami- TEST THIS 8/20/13

I'm making 1/2 batch Tuesday, 8/20/13 -
Review 8/21/134 - nice texture, a little salty, but good mild salami flavor. Check out Charcuterie book for their seasonings and mimic. I baked mine only 30 minutes to 160°F.

2 lbs ground beef, 20% fat
1 Tbs Morton Tender Quick
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp coarsely-ground black pepper
1 tsp gran. Garlic
1/4 tsp Old Bay or Seafood seasoning
SEASONING:
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch cayenne pepper
pinch powdered hickory smoke flavor (optional)

1. Place all ingredients except the ground beef in a medium size bowl. Add ¼ water and stir.

2. Add grd. Beef and knead by hand to thoroughly blend.

3. Divide into four portions. Shape each into a slender roll about 1 1/2 inches in dia. Wrap in plastic or foil and refrigerate overnight.

4. Unwrap. Bake on broiler pan at 325° until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of roll reads 160° (about 1 hour)

5. When cool, wrap in plastic wrap, then pkg. in Ziploc bags. Store in the frige a week or two, or freeze for later use.

6. Author’s note: This salami makes great sandwiches. Include it on antipasto platters; fry it with eggs for breakfast. Use as a pizza topping.

Source
Source: The Deli Maven’sCookbook, David W. CowlesBook: on my Kindle

-------------

Looking at the seasoning in my Charcuterie book -

Tuscan Salami - in addition to similar ingred. has:
dry milk powder
dextrose
fennel seeds
red wine

Hungarian Salami - in addition to similar ingred. has:
milk powder
Hungarian Paprika
dextrose
white wine

This is going to be fun to play with for a fast recipe to be able to do while traveling.

I posted all above in case anyone else wants to 'play' - with the stipulation - you have to tell me your 'secret' ingredients.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Homemade Salami - Cheap & Dirty by cjs (I just made a 'versi...)
Thanks Jean, I'll have to look up my recipe, but yours sounds pretty darn good to me!
Maryann

Re: Re: Homemade Salami - Cheap & Dirty by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, I'll ha...)
I'd love to see yours, Maryann. I also have one from my f-i-l from years ago that I need to compare also.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Homemade Salami - Cheap & Dirty by cjs (I'd love to see your...)
My oven will only get to 160 with some serious fiddling

I want to get a dehydrator that has a low heat setting or no heat setting. At least then I'll be able to control heat easier on the low temp items.
  Re: Re: Homemade Salami - Cheap & Dirty by DFen911 (My oven will only ge...)
You read it incorrectly Denise -

"Unwrap. Bake on broiler pan at 325° until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of roll reads 160° (about 1 hour)"

But, now I've been thinking since I found 3 lbs. of chuck in the freezer, I'm also going to mix it up and smoke a couple of "logs" also.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Homemade Salami - Cheap & Dirty by cjs (You read it incorrec...)
This is one that I made a few years ago. The recipe that I have using venison is for summer sausage.

Beef Salami

by Morton's Salt

Prep Time: 20 minutes; refrigerate overnight

Ingredients
1 pound of ground beef
1 1/2 level teaspoons Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (Plain) mix
1 teaspoon Morton® Table Salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Few drops liquid smoke, if desired

Directions
Combine all ingredients mixing until thoroughly blended. Divide in half. Shape each half into slender rolls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic or foil. Refrigerate overnight. Unwrap.
Bake on broiler pan at 325 degrees F until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of a roll reads 160 degrees F, 50 to 60 minutes. Store wrapped in refrigerator.

Use within 3 to 5 days or freeze for later use.

Spicy Beef Salami: Substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons Morton® Sausage and Meat Loaf seasoning mix for 1 teaspoon Morton® Table Salt.
Maryann

Re: Re: Homemade Salami - Cheap & Dirty by Mare749 (This is one that I m...)
Drat, I just cooked up 2 lbs of ground beef into crumbles. I could have made this easily, since I have all the needed spices. I love salami. I never realized it was just an all meat meatloaf.

I assume the broiler pan is used so the sausage can drain, so a half-sheet pan with a rack would work just as well (my broiler pan is buried somewhere).

Thanks for the recipes ladies, I will be copying this to my LC and trying it when I'm done with DH's tests.

I was doing research about tender quick because I'd never heard of it. Here's what I found:

Morton Tender Quick

This is a curing salt made by the Morton Salt Company. It contains both sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate. It has a lower nitrite/nitrate concentration (0.5 percent of each), and much more salt than the other cures.

Tender Quick is very good to use as a rub or in a brine (for making corned beef etc.) but has limited use in sausage making. With Tender Quick the sausage mixture gets very salty before the correct amount of cure is reached.

Here's the link for more options.

So I would think reducing the kosher salt or using homemade Old Bay with ground celery seeds instead of celery salt might help with the saltiness.
  Re: Re: Homemade Salami - Cheap & Dirty by Cubangirl (Drat, I just cooked ...)
Amazing how similar the recipes are, Marygnn. I just looked at an old one (that's in a Chef's Journey...Home) that Roy's dad used to make and that one also is very similar. F-i-l's is from the 50s.

This will be fun to play with. One nice thing, I won't have to get permission to use the recipe - I'll just adapt f-i-l's....
www.achefsjourney.com