Your favourite turnip recipes?
  Re: Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? by Harborwitch (Baby turnips are abo...)
Okay, so is anyone else having difficulty picturing turnip raisin spice cake. I think of turnips in the cabbage/brussel sprout family and can't for the life of me reconcile raisins and spice cake with it.

But then there is also those recipes for chocolate sauerkraut cake that I have seen.

Maybe I am just not very adventurous!
  Re: Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? by iBcookin (Okay, so is anyone e...)
Okay, Sharon, those ARE tiny. No confusion there.

As for the cake: the description/blurb says "An unusual, yet very tender sweet cake made rich with spices and raisins, and healthy with whole-wheat flour. Will not be able to tell the turnip's in there!"
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? by labradors (Okay, Sharon, those ...)
similar to using zucchini in breads/cakes.

I have to disagree with Sharon on the size - at least the size I will buy and won't buy because they can get pithy the larger they are. I'll buy up to approx 2- to 2 1/2-inches in diameter.

I must say I'll lean to the larger size if I'm buying from a farmer's market.

a few ideas -
thinly slice and make chips

cube them (and other veggies) season with S&P and other seasonings of choice, drizzle with olive oil and roast. Then mix with hot pasta, balsamic, parm, a little chix stock lots of pepper.

of course mashed, pureed and/or added to a shepard's pie

shred and add to a green salad or a slaw

use wherever jicama is called for

I used to make this soup a lot for catering - just delicious

* Exported from MasterCook *

WHITE ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP WITH THYME BUTTER

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via Bon Appetit

8 T. butter -- room temp.
3 T. minced fresh thyme
6 med leeks -- (white & pale green only), sliced
2 clove garlic -- minced
10 c chicken broth -- low-salt (or more)
2 lbs celery root -- (celeriac), peeled, cut in 1" pcs.
1 1/2 lbs turnips -- peeled, each cut in 8 wedges
1 lb parsnips -- peeled, cut in 3/4" pcs.
1/2 c whipping cream

Mix 6 T. butter & thyme in small bowl to blend well. Season thyme butter to taste w/salt/pepper.

Melt remaining 2 T. butter in heavy large pot over med. heat. Add leeks & garlic & saute till leeks are tender but not brown, about 10 min. Add 10 cups broth, celery root, turnips & parsnips; bring to boil. Reduce heat to med., cover & simmer till veggies are very tender, ~50 min. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree soup in blender till smooth.

Return soup to pot; stir in cream; season w/salt/pepper.

(Thyme butter & soup can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap butter in plastic wrap. Cool soup slightly. Frig uncovered till cold, then cover & keep chilled. Rewarm soup over med. heat, adding more broth, if desired, to thin.)

Ladle soup into 12 bowls. Top each w/small piece to thyme butter; swirl into soup & serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think oven roasting with other veggies and tossed with hot pasta is about my favorite, but I'm a pasta person anyway...can I say that??????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? by cjs (similar to using zuc...)
I buy the bigger ones 2" size. If I can find the tiny ones and have a plan it's good. Otherwise the big ones for regular use are wonderful. Love kohlrabi and ruttabeggas too!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? by labradors (@Maryann: When you d...)
Quote:

@Maryann: When you do use them in stews (or other such things where they are with potatoes), is their cooking time about the same as potatoes - so you would add them at about the same time, or do they need to go in earlier or later than the potatoes?

@Jean: Looking forward to it. Thanks.

Labs, I put them in at the same time but cut them smaller than the potatoes. I cut the potatoes into cubes and the turnips into little bricks. Does that make sense?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
The baby ones I get are about the size of a large pearl onion 1 1/2". The baby zucchinis I get are about 3" long and baby carrots about the same. The pattypan squash (summer squash) are about 2" in diameter. But they are usually so expensive in the store I don't bother. I mainly get them when I see them at an open market. But what a pretty side dish they make!
  Re: Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? by DFen911 (The baby ones I get ...)
We grew those last summer for the first time, Denise. Just delicious on the grill.
Maryann

Re: Your favourite turnip recipes? by labradors (Neither of my parent...)
Never did try these ideas, just due to timing and availability when I was still in Honduras, but one of the produce vendors at today's market gave me a big bag of turnips, so it looks like time to revisit these recipes.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Wow, a real blast from the past! Fun being back where you can get lots of variety of goodies, huh?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Labs, do you know how to store those turnips so that they will keep for a while? I have always been curious about that but never looked into it. Ron saw a suggestion somewhere, probably on TV about keeping onions. They said that you could store onions in the fridge if you wrap them individually in newspaper.
Maryann