Pesto with Pine Nuts & Pistachios
  Re: (...)
Just saying - best I've ever made. Makes a lot, so I tried half recipe first and it all fit in my 'not the largest' size Cuisinart.

Devany Vickery-Davidson's Pesto with Pine Nuts & Pistachios

1 1/2 cups pine nuts
1 1/2 cups pistachios
-------
16 cups of basil leaves and flowers if you have them. I sometimes add parsley and arugula to the mix, but the predominate flavor needs to be basil.
----
Zest and juice of three large lemons
3 heads (not teeth, full heads) of garlic, skinned and cut into chunks
1 1/2 -2 cups of good olive oil you judge when the consistency is ideal
2 Tbs smoked sea salt (non smoked is fine too)
3 Tbs fresh cracked pepper
1 Tbs raw sugar
1-2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
3 cups freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (you can do this in the food processor ahead)

1. You will need a food processor for this. If you do not have one, a blender works, but you will have to do it in smaller batches. I have a very large Cusinart, so I do a big batch at one time.

2. Get all ingredients in place. Toast the nuts in a dry skillet. Do not crowd them too much. I did two batches for this recipe. Set aside.

3. While the nuts are cooling, fill the processor bowl with basil, slightly packed, but not too tight. You should have some basil left over; this will go in after the first part is ground.

4. Add the lemon juice and zest, garlic, 1 cup olive oil, salt, pepper, sugar, and crushed red pepper. Pulse till the basil is reduced in volume, add the rest of the basil and more oil. The oil and the lemon juice allow the basil to be ground down into a paste. The lemon juice is used for flavor, but also to keep the pesto bright green. Add all of the nuts and process again, adding olive oil as needed to make the paste. Add the cheese and more olive oil as needed. It should be a thick paste, but one that easily drops from a spoon. Once you have it all ground up, taste, add more seasoning if you need it.

5. Freeze in containers the size that you are likely to be using it. I find that about 1 cup servings are good for two people. This is great on pasta, pizza, fresh mozzarella, ricotta, crostini, chicken, steak and even on scrambled eggs. I also like to dip bread sticks in it. However, my favorite way to eat it is over pasta.

Author Notes
From DeVaney on facebook: There are few things that can compare to home made pesto. It evokes the essence of the garden, all of that basil and garlic… but it also has a richness and depth because of very good olive oil, lots of Parmigiano Reggiano and most importantly pine nuts and pistachios! As my basil plants dictate (it takes ARMFULLS of basil), I make a big batch and freeze it. It does keep well in the refrigerator too, at least 6 weeks. I never use a recipe, but I paid attention this time to the amounts so you too could make some of the best “green sauce” in the world. If you have a smaller amount of basil, you can divide this recipe. Just remember to taste the pesto for balance and seasonings. It should have a little tang to it and also be rich and slightly crunchy. Some people use other nuts, such as walnuts, but I promise nothing can compare with the combination of pine nuts and pistachios. The are expensive, but really worth it in this instance. And a little pesto can go a long way too!

[Image: July31ChallahandPesto_zps898e4f09.jpg]

[Image: July31PestoPasta_zps8d1af459.jpg]
Same dinner today only with an egg on top.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pesto with Pine Nuts & Pistachios by cjs (Just saying - best I...)
Thank you Jean, that looks amazing. I happen to have some pistachios in the freezer, so this is perfect. Time to cut down the basil plant again. So its copied to LC and then scaled the original to 1/3 to try it since don't have 3 heads of garlic on hand.

How many cups of pesto did you get?

PS, the bread is looks wonderful as well.
  Re: Re: Pesto with Pine Nuts & Pistachios by Cubangirl (Thank you Jean, that...)
Alina, I think it looks like 3 1/2 to 4 cups usind 1/2 the original recipe.

We had it again today with an egg on top - (sorry Trixxee - I think it's Trixxee who is not a fan of this. )

It was delightful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pesto with Pine Nuts & Pistachios by cjs (Alina, I think it lo...)
Thank you so much. I will make about 1 cup and if we like it as much as I think we will, then make a larger batch. I been making one cup at a time with different combos and having Steve rate them. This one seems heavy on the peppers, but I always adjust for that.

My conclusions so far is that I like Romano a bit better than Parm and prefer plain pine nuts to walnuts and pine nuts. However, the consistency was different so that may have been a factor as much as the ingredients. Our lime tree is producing again, so I may try lime instead of lemon and adjust for the extra tartness.
  Re: Re: Pesto with Pine Nuts & Pistachios by Cubangirl (Thank you so much. I...)
I am waiting for Sam's to get the big bags of pine nuts to come in. My basil plants are about to get out of control. I'm saving this and hope to try it soon. Pistachios are more readily available, so this will help! Thanks, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pesto with Pine Nuts & Pistachios by Gourmet_Mom (I am waiting for Sam...)
You're welcome - this really is a good flavored pesto.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pesto with Pine Nuts & Pistachios by cjs (You're welcome - thi...)
I finally made this tonight and loved it. I was shooting for a third of the recipe, but because I was stressed (constant now, hopefully will have good news from the doctor later today), I put in 1/3 cup nuts instead of 1/2 cup each, so I ended up adding an extra 1/4 cup after half the cheese was added. The Parmigianno Regianno cheese was supposed to be 1 cup but because I started with the 1/3 cup instead of half, probably ended up with more. I microplaned it so it was really light. Could not find my cooking pistachios, so had to use Steve's which were roasted and salted. I retoasted them (literally, since I did the pine nuts and the pistachios in the toaster oven on the toast setting for 3 minutes for each batch.) I used Grains of Paradise instead of pepper, 2 little packets (about 6-8 large cloves each) from the peeled TJ's fresh garlic, and reduced the salt. My basil was right out of the garden and I had a full 8 cups, but when pressed down it was more like 6 cups.

I made a LEMONGRASS AND SLOW ROASTED TOMATOES POACHED HALIBUT WITH ZUCCHINI AND PESTO. I ignored the recipe's pesto and used mine. It was quick (not counting the marinating time), easy and wonderful. I was surprised at the wonderful flavor of the halibut and how moist it was. It was my first time poaching anything in a plastic bag (getting practice for when my sous-vide machine comes in November). Since I appear incapable of being told what to do, I overheated the water, so had to add ice cubes and when it was close to temp, put the fish in, then started to make the pesto, so did not pay close attention to the water temp. Nevertheless, in terms of cook and texture, it is the best fish I've ever made.

Anyway, thank you Jean, we both love this version. I might experiment with half Parm and half Romano, but otherwise this is a real keeper, super easy. and forgiving.
  Re: Re: Pesto with Pine Nuts & Pistachios by Cubangirl (I finally made this ...)
Glad you liked it, Alina. I may have to put more up for this winter.
www.achefsjourney.com