and this was in the middle
I found it really enjoyable
Have been looking for a recipe - and this is what I found:

Huckleberry Compote
Makes 2 1/4 cups -- From Seattle Times Company

3/4 cup apple juice
2 Tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
1 Cup Sugar
2 Cups fresh wild huckleberries( I used Mixture of tart and sweet dried Cherries)
2 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoon water

*** I added one 8 oz cream cheese to this mixture as was cooling

1. In a medium saucepan, bring the apple juice, lemon juice and sugar to a low boil over medium high heat. Stir in the huckleberries

2. In a small bowl, Whisk the cornstarch and water. Bring the compote to a boil and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Return to a boil and remove from heat. Cool and refrigerate until ready to use. Compote can be held refrigerated for up to 3 weeks

** See above note - added 8 oz cream cheese to above mixture

Chef's note: The Compote is great on pancakes, French toast or Ice Cream

I used the Dried Cherries - got from Sams Club or used Cran Raisins as
no access to Huckleberries

Everyone loved this with the Smoked Salmon.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Huckleberry Compote by mjkcooking ([br]When we were in ...)
Sounds good, Marye - this is the one I have used for years. For huckleberries, blackberries, raspberries,...................

This is from a Chef's Journey...Home, page 1 and 2 - wonderful, wonderful!

My Great-Uncle Wallace Thatcher made these pancakes for my sister and me every summer when we visited him and Aunt Lolly. Even today, they are the best I have every tasted! While they are delicious with warm maple syrup, homemade Blackberry syrup is just made for these pancakes.

Uncle Wallace’s Buttermilk Pancakes

6 rounded T. flour (see CJ’s tip)
3 1/2 cups buttermilk (may need a little more to make a thin batter)
1 1/2 rounded tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3 T. bacon grease (see CJ’s tip)
3 T. sugar

Mix all the ingredients together; the batter should be rather thin, a little thicker than a crepe batter. Heat a pancake griddle to medium-high and regulate heat so the bottom of the pancake is nicely browned when the bubbles appear on top.

Pour 1/3-cup size pancake batter on a hot griddle rubbed with more bacon grease or vegetable oil.

Turn as soon as the top of pancake has bubbles; cook other side until browned. Makes 14 – 18 pancakes.

CJ’s tips: After years of making these pancakes, I finally measured “6 dinnerware tablespoons” of flour and found it is equal to approximately
1 1/2 cups.

While bacon grease makes these the delicious pancakes they are, you can use vegetable oil in its place.

-----------------

I began making this syrup in 1965 when I finally got my Uncle Wallace's recipe for his Buttermilk Pancakes - his pancakes deserved the best I could do and I think this syrup does them justice. Any berries, or a combination of several, will do, fresh or frozen.

Blackberry Syrup

1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries (or berries of your choice)
1/4 cup sugar
2 T. water
2 T. corn syrup
1 T. cornstarch, mixed with 1 T. cold water
1 T. lemon juice

In a pan, combine the berries with the sugar, the 2 T. of water and corn syrup; bring to a boil, mashing berries slightly with a spoon.

Mix the 1 T. of water with the cornstarch until smooth; stir into boiling berry mixture and cook, stirring until the syrup boils and thickens.

Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Serve warm or cool. Makes 1 cup.

CJ’s tip: In addition to pancakes and waffles, this syrup is wonderful on ice cream, especially home made ice cream!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com