Way OT Quebec Exposion
  Re: (...)
At 1am Saturday morning, a train with 73 cars of crude oil derailed and exploded in the town where my Mom lives. As of last night, the fires are still burning, and 2000 people have been evacuated (there's only 5ooo in the town). As in any small town, the main street is the hub of activity. It was a beautiful summer night, and the bars and restaurants were full. Both sides of the main st are gone. They have no idea what the death toll is, as there is nothing there. Most of the stores had apartments above them. Mom was evacuated last night to a hospital 1 1/2 hours away. Here are some pictures of the devastation.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/estri...ages.shtml
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Way OT Quebec Exposion by Lorraine (At 1am Saturday morn...)
Oh Lorraine, that is awful! I am so sorry. My prayers are with your mom and the entire town. Please keep us updated.
  Re: Re: Way OT Quebec Exposion by karyn (Oh Lorraine, that is...)
Oh Lorraine, I thought of you and your family when I heard the news about this tragedy!! Your mom was evacuated for a care center, she wasn't hurt in the explosion, was she?

Don't know if I want to look at the pictures or not...... I looked.

2 of the pictures really made my stomach leap - the one of the explosion with the religious statue in the foreground and the one of complete devestation with a lone untouched car in the parking lot. Oh my, just horrendous.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Way OT Quebec Exposion by cjs (Oh Lorraine, I thoug...)
A tragedy of this size is hard to imagine All the loss of life and homes I am so sorry. Hope your mom will be ok.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Way OT Quebec Exposion by mjkcooking (A tragedy of this si...)
Lorraine, I saw Gil's post on FB. What a terrible tragedy for your town. I hope your mom will be okay. What about your other relatives?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Way OT Quebec Exposion by Mare749 (Lorraine, I saw Gil'...)
Mom is ok, she was evacuated because of the intense smoke. My S & BIL are fine, as they are about 5 miles out of town. they are on their way to see Mom. We had accounted for all the Aunts and Uncles, other than my Mom's younger sister (93 yrs old). Luckily, my sister was watching an interview on tv, and the lady said she had gone to get her aunt, and took the aunt's next door nieghbour with her, Mme Stewart (my aunt!!!). One of my cousins heard the explosion, and ran outside in her pyjamas, her house burnt to the ground. My Mom's house is sitting empty, as well as our cottage, so we will probably offer it to someone in need of housing. I keep telling myself to stop looking at the pictures, but I keep going back.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Way OT Quebec Exposion by Lorraine (Mom is ok, she was e...)
Oh, I bet you do, Lorraine - they still aren't reporting on the folks who they thnk were in the restaurant/bars - I wouldn't think much chance for them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Way OT Quebec Exposion by cjs (Oh, I bet you do, Lo...)
I don't blame you, Lorraine. It's hard to fathom such a horrific scene and all of the people who were in town when it happened. Glad your family members are all accounted for and okay.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Way OT Quebec Exposion by Mare749 (I don't blame you, L...)
Lorraine,

Thank God your family is okay!! My thoughts are with you and your family.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Way OT Quebec Exposion by BarbaraS (Lorraine,[br][br]Tha...)
I saw this on the news and looked t the pics you had in your link. I am just stunned Our news here is mainly focusing on the plane crash in San Fran and did even remotely show the devastation of the train wreck.

I am so very happy to hear your family is ok! It will take a long while for that community to begin the healing process