Present and advice
  Re: (...)
Hello,

Every year for my own birthday I buy myself a kitchen gadget. Well this year it was a pressure cooker. Do you guys have any advice, recipes , books I should get on the subject, websites etc etc. I really want to try it.

Thank you
  Re: Present and advice by piano226 (Hello,[br][br]Every ...)
Well, hi there stranger!!! Good to see you. Let me look around, I used to use mine when I was doing Personal Cheffing - haven't used it since. But, I did have some good dishes I made for customers.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Present and advice by cjs (Well, hi there stran...)
Hey,
I have been reading the board, just not posting. Had a roller coaster couple of months. Including a trip to China for 12 days following a trip to Buenos aires 6 days after the china trip and two trips to Seattle in between of all of that.

Tired just thinking about it.
  Re: Re: Present and advice by piano226 (Hey,[br]I have been ...)
WOW! You've sure been busy! I have never owned a pressure cooker, so I'm no help there. They scare me to death! LOL! But there are quite a few who use them regularly on here, so I'm sure you'll get lots of info soon. Good luck!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Present and advice by Gourmet_Mom (WOW! You've sure be...)
Hi, nice to "see" you again, piano! Sounds like you have been doing some pretty great traveling.

Sorry, I don't use a pressure cooker, but you can get a lot of advice from Cubangirl. Hopefully, she will turn up shortly.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Present and advice by piano226 (Hey,[br]I have been ...)
Wow - I hope all that travel was for pleasure or successful business. It's good to see you back.

I have my small pressure cooker with us - and I haven't used it since we've been on the road. My absolute favorites in the PC were/are short ribs, lamb shanks, and pork country ribs. I don't really have a recipe . . . A quick stew is good too, and there are lots of Indian recipes that use a pressure cooker (I haven't tried any yet).
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Present and advice by Harborwitch (Wow - I hope all tha...)
Well hell, where did the day go!! I apologize, Marina, pressure cooked ideas have been running thru my mind all day, but I got busy gettng ready for tomorrow.

Will post some in the a.m.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Present and advice by cjs (Well hell, where did...)
I have several pressure cookers and use them all the time. My newest toy was a 10 Qt. Fagor which sadly I have not had a chance to use yet. My favorite thing to make in it is Cuban flan, but I use it mostly for Cuban black beans, Short ribs, Carbonnade a la Flamande and fake Cuban pork roast. Basically any braised dish can easily be converted to save a couple of hours cooking time. Risotto in a pressure cooker is a no-brainer.

I have several pressure cooking books, but have not found any of them to be exciting and ended up not making anything from them.

I think taking time to understand the principles will serve you better in the long run. Flavors are infused, so take care to not over season, you can always add more at the end. And while it is possible to open the cooker to check, you lose pressure every time, which lengthens your cooking time. I have found the booklets that come with the cooker really helpful in converting recipes. The manufacturer's sites for various pressure cookers also have good recipes which can be used in any cooker, so you may want to try Fagor, Presto and Mirro sites.

If you have a particular dish you'd like to try, please let me know and maybe I have a good conversion already. Enjoy our new toy.
  Re: Re: Present and advice by Cubangirl (I have several press...)
Great, thank you for the advice. Lamb shanks, I think will be the first to be tested. Let you know how it goes.

The travels went well. Buenos Aires was a pleasure trip, have two daughters that live there. Beautiful city, great people, great food.

China...well China...all I can say is it is one of these countries that when you come back...you really want to kiss the ground that you are standing on. Thats one country that is hard to live in but the experience is interesting and memorable.
  Re: Re: Present and advice by piano226 (Great, thank you for...)
Sounds like Alina has it covered - have fun Marina!
www.achefsjourney.com