OT: Mimosa's big day
  Re: (...)
Thursday, I take Mimosa to the vet to be spayed and her brother (Odie, who lives with my doctor friend) to be neutered.

Hope I'll be able to keep her calm for the 7-10 days of post-op recovery. Don't want her to charge around as she sometimes likes to do.

Also, it's good that mayflies are short-lived and are already gone, so she won't be trying THIS afterwards.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: OT: Mimosa's big day by labradors (Thursday, I take Mim...)
I wish them both a speedy recovery! and I am sure she will rock the cone of shame
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa's big day by DFen911 (I wish them both a s...)
It is always so hard. but the right thing to do. Don't ease up on the cone of shame. It is necessary and good in the long run.

She and her brother will do well.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa's big day by esgunn (It is always so hard...)
She's attacking those Mayflies! Get'em Mimsy...

Yes, well wishes for a speedy recovery to Mimosa and her brother.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa's big day by luvnit (She's attacking thos...)
Oh, I feel your pain. Don't you just hate having to do that. But, it is so necessary these days.

My puppies, although mostly female, seemed to know that they had to pace themselves after surgery. Mimosa will probably sleep a lot for a few days. Her brother will probably just let everyone know how frustrating it is to wear that cone.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa's big day by Mare749 (Oh, I feel your pain...)
Hope Mimosa is faring well, as is Dad.
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa's big day by Trixxee (Hope Mimosa is farin...)
Good thoughts for Mimosa and her brother. I have a feeling Dad will have the hardest time with this. LOL
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa's big day by Harborwitch (Good thoughts for Mi...)
Probably right, Sharon. LOL!

They both seemed to do well. When we went to pick them up, Mimosa was already moving around a LOT. It made me wonder how I'd handle 7-10 days (so most of the info said) of trying to keep her from moving around too much - especially with the running and jumping that she loves so much.

The stuff I had read said to take it easy with the food the first night and that she may experience some nausea, so I gave her about 1/3 the amount of food I would normally give her and she did well, with no sign of nausea. Of course, she was very happy to get a good drink of water, as well.

Both the vet and my doctor friend said something similar to what Maryann said, including "They won't do something if the pain is too much - which was also the reply when I asked why they DIDN'T get those cone/collars.

Mimosa did, finally, go to sleep, though, and is napping beside me as I type this.

To help, over night, I have borrowed a backpack-style pet carrier from my next-door neighbours so that she won't try to run around or jump up or down, and I'll have her sleep in it near my bed so I can hear if she needs to go out or has any other complaints.

Thanks for all of your comments and wishes.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa's big day by labradors (Probably right, Shar...)
When we did the newfs, we referred to the cones as satellite dishes, we were sure they were getting signals from space they were so big! They kept running into everything - me, the woodpile, the doorways! There was no tucking them into a backpack!

I am sure she will come through just fine with your attention and loving.
  Re: Re: OT: Mimosa's big day by iBcookin (When we did the newf...)
Happy to hear Mimosa and her brother are recovering
Cis
Empress for Life