New Names for Pork Cuts
  Re: (...)
This is a portion of a restaurant newsletter I receive and I thought some of you might enjoy reading about the new names for pork products – I found it very interesting.

For some reason Photoshop won't let me download the picture chart for the different cuts - which would be really helpful (I taped it on my cupboard ). Anyway, here are some of the items they covered inthe article.

-----------------------
Sirloin Chops, both bone-in and boneless, are from the portion of the pork loin that meets the fresh leg on the hog. They are finely grained muscles that hold moisture and flavor very well. These are best served as cutlets, either sautéed or breaded and fried like schnitzel.

Porterhouse Chops are bone in chops that consist of loin muscle and the tenderloin. Cook them like a porterhouse steak – direct heat on a grill or under a broiler until medium rare.

T-Bone Chops, also bone in, consist of loin muscle and a smaller portion of the tenderloin tail. Cook them like a T-bone steak – direct heat on a grill or under a broiler until medium rare.

New York Chops are only available boneless. This is the loin, or longissimus muscle, that’s opposite the tenderloin in both porterhouse and T-bone chops. Cook like a New York strip steak.

Center Cut Chops with the bone-in are similar to a New York strip steak or shell steak. They differ from the ribeye because there isn’t any spinalis muscle or cap showing on the top of the chop.

Ribeye Chops, both bone-in and boneless, are from the rib portion of the loin and carry one or more of the loin back ribs on each chop, depending on thickness. Cook like a ribeye steak.

Country Chops and Country Style Ribs are available both bone-in and boneless. These are chops and rib portions from the loin nearest the shoulder end. They consist of many different muscles and must be cooked to medium rare or medium on direct heat. If overcooked, they must be braised for a long time until tender again.

Tenderloins, both whole and portioned into Tenderloin Medallions, can be cut in many different sizes and thicknesses. The tenderloin is pulled from the loin when a boneless loin is being fabricated. Once the tenderloin has been removed, the only cuts that can come from that area of the loin are New York chops.
NPB: The new names were originally created for retail cuts and labeling. Any impact on foodservice?

The new naming standards focus on the pork loin, why is this?

The names addressed in the pork category covered cuts from the shoulder and leg as well as the loin, but loin cuts provide the most opportunity to help consumers get what they’re looking for. This will help sales in retail grocery stores and restaurants – ultimately helping raise the price farmers can get for their pigs. Twelve different chops come from the pork loin and in the past we often sold them as assorted pork chops in one package or box. The cooking method for pork chops from each section of the loin is very different. Grouping them together does everyone a disservice, and there were some simple name changes we could make to remedy this.

The new common names have been approved by the USDA for use in retail. The changes will be made to URMIS and UPC codes and are available through the Meattrack.com database for grocers to download into the scales that print labels for the meat case. The North American Meat Association (NAMA), the organization that prints the Meat Buyers Guide (MBG), is currently reviewing these changes. NAMA’s pork section revision committee will recommend changes for the next printing of the MBG and the online version. These recommendations are also shared with the USDA to review and update the IMPS. This is an industry-wide effort to let consumers and foodservice operators see the same names for meat cuts. Restaurant operators can now use these names on the menu and consumers will be able to order using these descriptions in the near future.

Many of the new names, like Porterhouse and ribeye chops, have been used on menus for years. The benefit now is that consumers will be more familiar with the names from their meat case experiences. As the rest of these common names for pork chops become available in retail, consumers may be more willing to try dishes using the same descriptions on the menu since they will have a better understanding of what they are ordering.

The best approach is to cook pork chops as you would steak. Bone-in cuts are best cooked on direct heat and boneless cuts are best cooked on a grill or sauté pan. Train servers to ask how the customer would like it cooked – or better yet, ask them how they like their steak cooked and recommend a similar degree of doneness for the chop they are ordering. The USDA recommends cooking pork to an internal temperature of 145°F using an instant-read thermometer after a three-minute rest. This produces a medium rare chop with a warm, pink center. We’ll talk to consumers about this as part of our roll-out of the new common names so they become more familiar with enjoying pork the same way they like steak. We recommend operators brine whole muscle chops to add moisture and flavor

-----------
Trixxee, just in time for your brining projects.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: New Names for Pork Cuts by cjs (This is a portion of...)
I'm having trouble convincing my crowd to eating pork medium rare. For years we were taught pork had to be cooked MW to be eaten safely. William was put off by my MR duck last weekend. Same with my MR tuna a while back. Old habits are hard to break. Oddly enough, he still talks about how his GM and our neighbors cooked/cook beef well done and how horrible it was/is. LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New Names for Pork Cuts by Gourmet_Mom (I'm having trouble c...)
Quote:

William was put off by my MR duck last weekend.

I'll take it! I'll take it!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: New Names for Pork Cuts by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Sorry, it was mine....and I ate it with relish! LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New Names for Pork Cuts by Gourmet_Mom (Sorry, it was mine.....)
Quote:

Sorry, it was mine....and I ate it with relish! LOL!

Sadist!
  Re: Re: New Names for Pork Cuts by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
In ancient, and recent times pork was infected with trichinosis and properly labeled unclean by Jewish physicians and tradition. This is no longer true. The Polar Bear is the biggest carrier today. Enjoy your medium rare USDA pork with the same care you eat the beef. Just don't be stupid and eat rare Polar Bear.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: New Names for Pork Cuts by Old Bay (In ancient, and rece...)
Well darn, I had planned a Polar Bear dinner for next week.

I've been eating pork almost med. rare for years - I pull it at between 140° and 145° (depending on size) - so probably just a tad past. So much juicier and tender.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New Names for Pork Cuts by cjs (Well damn, I had pla...)
Yes, brined pork is up next!
  Re: Re: New Names for Pork Cuts by Trixxee (Yes, brined pork is ...)
Yeah, but the problem with polar bear is that it eats everything else in the freezer.