Making Sausage and Brats
  Re: (...)
I want to attempt to make some sausage and brats this summer. I have been looking at the Kitchenaid attachments (grinder) and it has some good reviews and some poor reviews.

I trust everyone's opinion on here. What is your experience with any of you, using the kitchenaid attachments? Or what do you use and how do you stuff your sausage?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Making Sausage and Brats by luvnit (I want to attempt to...)
Love the grinder and it works well for my purposes, but that's only 5-6 lbs. of meat at a time. Haven't been brave enough to try using the stuffing tube yet.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Making Sausage and Brats by Mare749 (Love the grinder and...)
I used my K.A. for years for my sausage making. A year or so I bought a grinder/stuffer that I really like.

But, for home sausage making the K.A. will serve you well. Have fun and yell if you need any recipes. Do you have the book - Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn. Haven't tried one of their recipes that didn't work.

Oh - and with kids you must make their frankfurters - wonderful!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Sausage and Brats by cjs (I used my K.A. for y...)
I actually found the KA grinder really frustrating....I don't know what I did wrong. I now have one that we bought from Northern Tool that makes grinding meat soooo much easier. Best of all, I've not had an emulsified sausage break since I started using it.

However, I know many people have been very happy with their KAs, so I'm assuming there was some sort of operator error on my part.
  Re: Re: Making Sausage and Brats by karyn (I actually found the...)
Hmmmm... I have been wondering if I should just get a grinder... I have Northern Tool just right up the street too! I just watched the video for the $99 model they have. It looks pretty industrial for my needs. I like that. It looks really sturdy.

Meat Grinder at Northern Tool

[Image: 151342.jpg]
  Re: Re: Making Sausage and Brats by luvnit (Hmmmm... I have been...)
Laura, that's exactly the one I have, and I love it! It grinds the meat quickly, so the meat stays colder, which is important to the texture of the final product, especially if you're grinding it twice, like in this kielbasa recipe, which is a favorite of mine.
  Re: Re: Making Sausage and Brats by karyn (Laura, that's exactl...)
Laura, this is the one I finally bought - I love it Waring Pro MG800

[Image: meatgrtiknder_zpsb0d86cf5.jpg]

Does everythng I need. You're going to have fun!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Sausage and Brats by cjs (Laura, this is the o...)
I have the one that attaches to my kitchen aid mixer.

Biggest hint ever, make sure your meat is COLD. Keep it in the fridge and work in small batches. I even partially freeze the chunks to make the grinding easier.
  Re: Re: Making Sausage and Brats by DFen911 (I have the one that ...)
"Biggest hint ever, make sure your meat is COLD. Keep it in the fridge and work in small batches. I even partially freeze the chunks to make the grinding easier."

This is rule #1 in sausage making.

2nd. would be - don't finish off your sausage without cooking a small patty to see if seasoning/heat is correct!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making Sausage and Brats by DFen911 (I have the one that ...)
I've been using the one on the KA for a long time. It works great and the stuffer works great too. I think it's time to make some sausage soon. I want to play with some seasoning ideas - and I'd love to make the frankfurters.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!