Austin Food & Wine Fest 2013
  Re: (...)
These are from the Austin Food & Wine Festival this past weekend where my company had (among other things) a cheese-tasting booth that I put together with some other deli managers. I didn't get nearly as many pictures as I did last year but I'll share a few.

I walked up to this the very first morning before the gates were open. Some poor kid was slumped over in his chair and had obviously been turning the dern thing half the night.
[Image: 20130427_085716_1.jpg]

Beyond these gates were tables and booths full of beer, wine, spirits, sweets and savories.

[Image: 20130428_140319_1.jpg]

Our awesome cheese booth! Right as the gates opened the first day and just before we were absolutely swarmed!
[Image: 20130427_100129.jpg]

Close up of two of our HEB cheeses. The brie had a caramelized onion compote on top that people went crazy for.

[Image: 20130427_100109.jpg]

One of the premier evening events is called Rock Your Taco. Chefs from Austin and beyond create small bite tacos and a winner is crowned. I only got a few pics.

Tim Love's taco. I forget what he said was in it. But he kept telling everyone "Lime last!"
[Image: 20130427_195354_3.jpg]

This one was really interesting. Pardon the blurry pic. The shell was a slice of beet. It had beets roasted with masa and goat feta, chipotle, peanut sauce and puffed rice in it. Bryce Gilmore of Barley Swine.
[Image: 20130427_201016_4.jpg]

This unimpressive photo is of the very impressively delicious taco that won that night from Tyson Cole of Uchi and Uchiko. It was a yucca chip shell with raw hamachi, roe, apple, topped with Marcona almonds, and it one of the best things I ate all weekend. The Marconas seemed out of place at first but they made it.
[Image: 20130427_210304.jpg]

This was at the very end of the fest when people were fading out and we were breaking down. They had a roasting pit in the center of the grounds where they did whole animal roasting all weekend. This is what was left of a goat. We walked by and my friends yelled out, "Hey come on, we're ripping the goat!" We walked up and were each handed a disposable glove. We each ripped of a hunk of meat. It was one of the other best things I ate all weekend.
[Image: 20130428_152925.jpg]
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Austin Food & Wine Fest 2013 by cheesemonger (These are from the A...)
What fun and a lot of hard work that must have been. I can't remember where we had goat on the road trip, but I was surprised at how much I liked it. Years ago I tasted it and didn't like it at all.

Thanks for sharing with us, Allison!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Austin Food & Wine Fest 2013 by cjs (What fun and a lot o...)
Great pics, Allison! Looks like a fun event! Thanks for sharing your photos. Your booth looks spectacular.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Austin Food & Wine Fest 2013 by Mare749 (Great pics, Allison!...)
How fun! I love food events of any kind.
  Re: Re: Austin Food & Wine Fest 2013 by Trixxee (How fun! I love foo...)
Love the taco ideas!! How extremely clever

What a fun event to participate in and explore. Thank you for sharing the pictures. So envious! Would love the compote recipe you had on your brie if you're willing to share.
  Re: Re: Austin Food & Wine Fest 2013 by DFen911 (Love the taco ideas!...)
Thanks, all!

Jean, I know what you mean about the goat. This meat was juicy and mild. I think it having roasted all day contributed to that.

Denise, honestly the compote came out of a jar! It wasn't even something we have been selling much of and I don't even remember the brand name off hand. I just grabbed it on a whim to dress up the very mild brie and people went crazy for it. The main ingredients in it were red onions, sugar and balsamic, so it was savory but a bit sweet and tangy.
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Austin Food & Wine Fest 2013 by cheesemonger (Thanks, all![br][br]...)
Denise, this is the topping I usually use.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BAKED BRIE WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey
Serving Size : 10

2 Tbsps butter
8 c sliced onions, ~4 large
1 Tbsp minced fresh thyme
4 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 c dry white wine
1 tsp sugar
------
1 8" diameter French Brie, packed in wooden box (reserve box) really does need a box for baking and presentation!
2 baguettes French bread, sliced

Melt butter in heavy very large skillet, over med-hi heat. Add onions; saute till just tender, ~6 min.
Add minced thyme, reduce heat to med. & cook till onions are golden, stirring often, ~25 min.

Add garlic & saute 2 min.
Add 1/4 c. wine; stir till almost all liquid evaporates, ~2 min.

Sprinkle sugar over onions & saute till soft & brown, ~10 min.

Add remaining 1/4 cup wine; stir just till liquid evaporates, ~2 ;min.

Season to taste w/s&p. Cool. Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover & refrig.

Oven to 350°. Unwrap Brie, cut away the top rind of cheese (leave sides & bottom).

Return Brie to box, rind side down.(Note: it really does need the box type Brie)

Place box on b. sheet. Top Brie w/onion mixture. Bake till cheese just melts, ~ 30 min.

Transfer Brie in box to platter & surround with baguette slices and/or crackers.

Serving Ideas : Add some Balsamic to onions and top w/toasted pine nuts.

I used the box the cheese comes in for presentation for quite a while, then I found the neatest little brie baker.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/brie-baker/s672630?a=1552
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Austin Food & Wine Fest 2013 by cjs (Denise, this is the ...)
What fun, Allison! I'm hoping to go to a big event like this some day!

Thanks for the recipe, Jean. I think I may play with this over the summer. We love Brie! I'll also forward it to DD. She LOVES the stuff!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.