Monday's Dinner, 5/6/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today??

Have lots of scraps in the fridge, so probably a pizza on the grill.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner, 5/6/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Chicken and cheese tortellini soup here. Haven't made it in a while.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 5/6/13?? by Trixxee (Chicken and cheese t...)
It must be soup weather in So-Cal.

It's a hot one today with no rain in sight, so tonight I'm making one of our favorites, Salmon salad BLT's.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 5/6/13?? by losblanos1 (It must be soup weat...)
I have farmers' market loot to start moving through. Pork tenderloin stuffed with greens and goat feta. Baby red carrots (I wasn't going to buy carrots but they were just so pretty) oven roasted. Orange cauliflower that I'm (loosely) using a Guy Fieri recipe where you oven roast half and puree half.

Also, I got these shallot scapes at the market. They're like thick green onions with a more pungent flavor. Along with garlic scapes, they've been popping up at all the produce booths. The farmer recommended sauteing them. I think I'll either roast them with the carrots or saute them after I take the tenderloin out and eat them with that. Has anyone else used them?
Allison aka Younger Bay
"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." - Julia Child
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 5/6/13?? by cheesemonger (I have farmers' mark...)
I got up at 2:30 this a.m. I'll be back re the onion or garlic ramps/scapes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 5/6/13?? by cjs (I got up at 2:30 thi...)
I think tonight is going to be left over skirt steak tacos and I will make the queso fundido with rajas to go along with it.

Allison I think I posted the recipe for the Lemon & Garlic Scape pasta on here, somewhere. Very very good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 5/6/13?? by Harborwitch (I think tonight is g...)
I made a soup. Haven't made it for a long time. Called Tuscan sausage soup.
It has fennel onions. Beans. And is quick o make.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 5/6/13?? by mjkcooking (I made a soup. Have...)
Fresh fennel, or just the seeds? The soup sounds great, but I can't get fresh fennel, here.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 5/6/13?? by labradors (Fresh fennel, or jus...)
I have some more wings to cook up so I'm leaning towards honey lime for the flavors tonight. Did them as hot wings yesterday.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner, 5/6/13?? by DFen911 (I have some more win...)
Allison, I have never had shallot scapes, but I have a huge garlic area in the garden that I use only for the scapes every year. There is always a discussion whether to call them onion/shallot/garlic scapes or ramps and it goes on every year.

Is this what your scapes/ramps look like?
[Image: GarlicRampsJuly20122_zps12a42f00.jpg]

Whatever 'flavor' you have they are wonderful to work with. If they are very young(small) you can just chop them up and add to salads, top pizzas, etc.

I love to saute them in a little butter, s&p and that's it. They are so flavorful.

If they are larger, which I'm thinking commercially they probably are, you can blanch them and add to just about anything.

On the pizza, I love to make a flatbread rather than a pizza per se - mozz, blanched ramps, salt and lots of pepper and Parmigiano–Reggiano cheese. Great with a salad or soup.

Basically, any dish that showcases onions/garlic/shallots is perfect for adding ramps/scapes. have fun.
www.achefsjourney.com