The blob and I fought and I won.
  Re: (...)
I had not baked bread in a while, so I thought I'd start with one of the 3 foolproof breads I can make, Artisan in 5 (others are focaccia and Cuban) So on 4/19 I put a batch using my new Honeyville flour in the fridge, intending to make it in a week. Well, it did not work to make it while DD and the grandkids were here. Then last week the air conditioning went out and now way was I going to turn on the oven until it was fixed. Then I got a severe allergy attack and was down for a few days. So yesterday (5/5) I thought I'd better bake it. Got my parchment, my gloves, my rice flour and my LC pot ready and took a chunk out.

Well tried is a better word, it was very very wet, but finally I got about a pound and a half on the parchment on the scale. I then tried to form a loaf and that is when the fun really began. I've never seen dough travel so fast. It was like one of the blob movies. No matter where I corralled it, it oozed on another side. finally I stuck the parchment on my gratin dish and got a cup of flour from the cubbard. I'd never had to do this before with this bread. Put the parchment back on the counter and the blob began doing its thing again. I kept adding flour to no avail. Corralled it again and by this time, convinced I was wasting flour, but stubborn as always, I got another heaping cup of flour. Started adding slowly and turning to incorporate and finally just dumped it in, grabbed as much of the blog as I could and tried to make a ball. By this time there was dough on the counter, oozing down into the sink on one side and down the edge to the cabinets below. I swear it oozed up on the cornstarch jar I had on the counter waiting to be refilled.

I'd gotten another piece of parchment, so ever optimistic, I put rice flour on it and dropped what was a ball in my imagination only onto it and put it in the LC pot for the 2nd rise. This is a dough that is minimally handled, but by these time, I had been working with it for a while incorporating flour so I held little hope.

I then transferred the remainder of the batch to a smaller container, cleaned my container saving a third of a cup, and got a new batch going. Used a cup less water this time and will try to make it later in the week. I had originally planned to make pizzas with the remainder but not sure it would be worth the hassle, though if I did, I'd add 2 cups of flour while still in the container.

Anyway I baked it as usual, and though it did not get tall (should have started with 2.5 lbs) it browned nicely. Here's a picture of the garlic bread I made with it. Image. It tasted as good if not better than I remember for plain white bread.[Image: blobbread5-3-2013_zps8e2ae333.jpg]
  Re: The blob and I fought and I won. by Cubangirl (I had not baked brea...)
Made me smile this morning imagining you against the runaway dough. Maybe it might have worked okay for the pizza - sit a ball of it on the pan and let it spread itself out

The bread looks delicious.
  Re: Re: The blob and I fought and I won. by iBcookin (Made me smile this m...)
Well, at least the blob didn't win!! Good looking.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: The blob and I fought and I won. by Cubangirl (I had not baked brea...)
Quote:

I've never seen dough travel so fast.

Oh, my! This one sentence, especially, had me truly laughing out loud and had me picturing something between Lucille Ball and Rowan Atkinson.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: The blob and I fought and I won. by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Glad it turned out after all! And it looks really good!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: The blob and I fought and I won. by Mare749 (Glad it turned out a...)
Very Lucy'ish indeed! One of my favorite episodes.
  Re: Re: The blob and I fought and I won. by Trixxee (Very Lucy'ish indeed...)
Way to go, Alina! The Lucy reference is perfect! Loved that episode!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The blob and I fought and I won. by Gourmet_Mom (Way to go, Alina! T...)
I SO miss bread!

But what the heck kind of yeast did you use, Alina???? Super-octane?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: The blob and I fought and I won. by foodfiend (I SO miss bread! [...)
The yeast was SAF Red instant yeast, it had been in the freezer unopened since I had bought it in 1/2009 so I was worried it might not work, but I checked some and it seemed ok (famous last words). I used it straight from the freezer.

The bread was Artisan in five using 2 lbs. of Honeyville Grains Alta Artisan flour, 4 cups of water (my mistake Alta requires less hydration), 1.5 TBS. of yeast and 1.5 TBS. of salt. The dough mix had been in the fridge for a bit over 14 days when I used it. They recommend 14 days as the max. I usually make the first loaf at 7 days. I've never had it go wild like that. I do think it was the combo of extra water and super good yeast.

I have another batch in the fridge now with only 3 cups water and the full amount of yeast. Will see, but probably with yeast that good, next tine, I'll probably cut down to just 1 TBS.

I took some of the yeast and put it in a mason jar(the latch kind) which I put in a ziploc and left it in the freezer. I vacuum sealed the original package and left it in the freezer. I got the yeast from KAF. I don't expect to buy yeast for a long time. This is what I used.
  Re: Re: The blob and I fought and I won. by Cubangirl (The yeast was SAF Re...)
SAF Red is what I always use. In fact, I had never even heard of it until I moved here, but I love it.

Although I've never kept it in the freezer, I HAVE kept it in the refrigerator and have used it even two years after its date and it has always been strong. Have never had it long enough to try it at four years past the date, though.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?