Saturday's Dinner, 5/4/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for everyone today?

GRILLING WEATHER!!!! And, man, is the green house going crazy, but I'm still going to wait for Mother's day to set the veggies and herbs out.

We're gong to have the Chili pork tenderloin from C@H's Grill & Sandwich book (the double book) and a ricotta orzo. Probably grilled veggie, too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner, 5/4/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
You ready for today Jean? I STILL don't know who I am picking but I better decide because I'm in a virtual contest on FB and have to submit something. (I'm in 5th place out of about 60 people).

We are having more burnt end brisket sandwiches. (Picture of last night's is on FB).
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 5/4/13?? by Trixxee (You ready for today ...)
Well, we're going to try pizza again. But this time in the oven instead of on the grill.

Cross your fingers for us.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 5/4/13?? by BarbaraS (Well, we're going to...)
It'll be great, Barbara!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 5/4/13?? by cjs (It'll be great, Barb...)
I bought a huge bunch of Thai basil the other day and might try this:

Thai Basil Chicken

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: SERVES 4 (with rice)
Ingredients:
3/4 to 1 lb. chicken breast or thigh, sliced into bite-size pieces or strips
4-5 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1-2 fresh red chilies, chopped fine, OR 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. dried crushed chili (chili flakes)
3 Tbsp. white wine OR white cooking wine
2 small bell peppers: red and yellow, sliced
1 small green pepper OR 1/2 zucchini, chopped into bite-size pieces
3 green onions, sliced
1/2 compressed cup Thai basil, OR substitute sweet basil
2-3 Tbsp. vegetable oil

STIR-FRY SAUCE:
3 Tbsp. oyster sauce
1 Tbsp. Fish sauce
1 Tbsp. lime juice
2 Tbsp. brown sugar

Preparation:
1. Combine the 'Stir-Fry Sauce' ingredients together in a cup, stirring to dissolve sugar. Spoon 2 Tbsp. of this sauce over prepared chicken and stir in. Set aside to marinate a few minutes while you prepare your other ingredients. Set remaining stir-fry sauce aside.

2. Heat a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl around, then add the garlic and chili. Stir-fry 1 minute to release the fragrance, then add the chicken plus a splash of white wine. Stir-fry until chicken turns opaque (3 minutes). Add a little more white wine as needed to keep pan moist.

3. Add the bell peppers and zucchini, plus 3/4 of the stir-fry sauce you made earlier. Stir-fry until vegetables have softened but still retain some of their crispness (about 2 minutes).

4. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the sliced green onions, plus remaining stir-fry sauce. Stir together (note that this is meant to be a saucy dish - this is where the flavor is).

5. Remove from heat and fold in the fresh basil (basil will wilt down into the hot sauce). Taste-test the dish and adjust the flavors to your liking.

6. Serve with plenty of plain steamed jasmine rice and garnish with more fresh basil. ENJOY!

Basil Tip: If you have small basil leaves, they may not need to be chopped. If your leaves are larger, try piling them on top of one another, then thinly slicing them to create shreds. I find you get lots of flavor this way, but be sure to shred it just before adding to the dish (if you do it too far ahead of time, the basil will lose some of its natural oils and flavor).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 5/4/13?? by foodfiend (I bought a huge bunc...)
Hi everyone, I'm back and have missed you all! I was afraid to say anything on the web before leaving on vacation since my parents and also my sister both had their homes broken into while away on vacation. It was years ago, but you don't forget it.

Anyway, we are back from two weeks in the Carib, well rested and definately well-fed!

As for dinner tonight, I feel a bit lost without the 24 hour floating buffet, so not sure what we will have. Vicci's meal sounds awfully good right now, but we don't have any food in the house yet, so will have to make a trip to the store.

I got the new issue in my mail, but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Can't wait to catch up on everything I missed!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 5/4/13?? by Mare749 (Hi everyone, I'm bac...)
Welcome home Maryann! Can't wait to hear details

Tonight we're going to an awesome bakery called Lighthouse Bakery. The season opening of their brick oven. They only fire it up from May to Oct 1st. All their food is organic, and vegetarian. So we're meeting some friends there for pizza tonight. Lol Derek is already grumbling about no meat..sheesh
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner, 5/4/13?? by cjs (It'll be great, Barb...)
We did it!! We did it!! We made pizza!!!

The store-bought dough made a good, although a bit thick, crust. But it cooked through! And the edge crust was nice and crispy light brown! Only had to cook it for the 10 minutes @ 450 + about 3 minutes @ 400, per Jean's book.

So guess what I'm having for breakfast?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Success!!! by BarbaraS (We did it!! We did ...)
CONGRATULATIONS, BARBARA!!!! Oh boy, another convert!! There is no stopping now.
www.achefsjourney.com