Review of a B.A. Recipe
  Re: (...)
A note about a dish I did yesterday just playing around. An old Bon Appetit (May '08) recipe I ran across for Portobello Mushroom Satay. It was in the recipe request section, so no presentation picture, and the remark only said, "...I often order portobello mushroom dishes when I eat out. One of the best I've found here in town (Chicago) is the satay at Vong's Thai Kitchen."

B.A. isn't running the recipe anymore, but I did find it here on someone's blog -
http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/728194-...ecipe=true

[Image: Apr28PortobelloSatay_zpsee94770a.jpg]

Daphne, I thought of William when Roy started tasting this - he almost swooned! In fact he drank the rest of the dipping sauce as he did dishes!!

The reason I'm even posting this is - I can't figure out how it should be served. This is how I served a couple of the pieces to Roy, but portabellos aren't that tender and it was really messy.

[Image: Apr28PortabelloSatayontoast_zps41fd03f0.jpg]

I guess slicing them and serving over rice would work, but can anyone suggest other ways to serve them??? The flavor is just wonderful.

The restaurant is now closed, so I can't see the menu online to find out how it is listed on the menu.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review of a B.A. Recipe by cjs (A note about a dish ...)
By definition, satay is prepared on skewers. As we've seen with other satay recipes, a common way to serve them is to wrap a leaf of lettuce around the satay to pull out the skewer, then to bite into the lettuce to eat the satay. That would seem to be a good option for this satay, as well.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a picture of the actual dish, but the restaurant's old web site IS available HERE and clicking "Dinner Menu" will get you the PDF file thereof.

The menu description doesn't help much, though. All it says is:
Quote:

CHAR-GRILLED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM SATAYS
HONEY BALSAMIC GLAZE, ROSEMARY-GINGER DIP

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Review of a B.A. Recipe by labradors (By definition, satay...)
I did do these on skewers as a satay should be. But, what I'm saying is cutting them in quarters, they are not easy to eat even if wrapped in a lettuce leaf because they aren't that tender.

As I think about them, I think because they are such wonderful flavors, maybe I'll just descard 'satay' and slice the mushrooms, marinate them a little then saute in a skillet. Then the world is open as to how to serve them. Sounds really good to me.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review of a B.A. Recipe by cjs (I did do these on sk...)
Quarters would be difficult. Satay is usually for strips, not chunks.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?