Question on a Creme brûlée. -savory
  Re: (...)
I made a savory creme brûlée to day for brunch.
I actually made it yesterday

I cooked it longer than it said. My problem was it didn't set up
8i made. 1 1/2 times the recipe.
It called for 5 yolks. I put in 7should I have put in 8 eggs. .?

Expensive to make for it not to turn out.
Any ideas ?
  Re: Question on a Creme brûlée. -savory by mjkcooking (I made a savory crem...)
Marye, could you post the recipe?? Can't tell what might have happened. I might have erred on the 'more' side and added the extra yolk.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Question on a Creme brûlée. -savory by cjs (Marye, could you pos...)
Any chance that you accidentally doubled the liquid? I have made that mistake once or twice when trying to increase a recipe by 50%.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Question on a Creme brûlée. -savory by Mare749 (Any chance that you ...)
Hi Here is the recipe :

Savory Cream Brulee

Heat oven to 275 * (375) - serves 6

Custard Recipe: Whisk 5 large egg yolks until pale in color
Add 1 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup Milk - Whisk until well blended

Add to above:
3/4 cup very thinly sliced leeks
2 Tbs diced onions
1/3 cup red or green bell pepper, coarsely diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, finly diced
1 tsp grated garlic

1 tsp dill
1/3 cup gorgonzola
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup small diced croutons scatter on top.

Prepare six flan dishes in baking pan. Pour in custard and scatter croutons over the top. Pour in warm water to come halfway up sides of flan. Bake 35 minutes or until center jiggles slightly, but is set. Remove and Torch 1 TBS PARMESAN cheese over each serving. These can be served very warm or at room temp.
Try other combinations of your favortie veggies with cheeses and spices, using the custard recipe. Enjoy

*aha - Checking this against another cream brulee - I see the temp is at
375 - not 275 - so that may have been part of the problem !!!!!!

I also have made mistakes of too much liquds - could of been another reason
your right -

I do have two other recipes for brulees from this same gal one is a Wild Rice and Crab Savory Creme Brulee and the other is for Sundried Tomato and Olive brulee.

both cooked at 375 - so tend to think this was wrong time -

Thanks for any help.
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Question on a Creme brûlée. -savory by mjkcooking (Hi Here is the recip...)
I think you found your problem....the temp was likely the problem. That's a shame, the recipe sounds really good.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Question on a Creme brûlée. -savory by Gourmet_Mom (I think you found yo...)
Maybe the combination of a little too much liquid and the temp. My 'classic' creme brulee (not savory) bakes at 300° - but, maybe with the veggies you need the higher temp.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com