Fresh Ham/Red Chili Marinade
  Re: (...)
Also known as Pierna de Cerdo Adobada. I have a recipe in a Saveur for this that I have marked with three stars! I put an addition over it "tamarind paste", but not how to use it in the recipe. Have I ever posted anything like that, or has anyone else where I might have added tamarind paste? I don't give three stars very often--I remember it--quite good, I just don't remember the paste.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Fresh Ham/Red Chili Marinade by Old Bay (Also known as Pierna...)
I came up with nada, Bill - even went to Saveur and the recipe didn't come up there to see how you might have used the tamarind paste.

Marinated Pork Leg - so maybe you added the paste to the marinade?? Sorry, wish I could help.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fresh Ham/Red Chili Marinade by cjs (I came up with nada,...)
Bill, apart from your current inquiry, the only forum message that I found posted by you and containing the word "tamarind" was THIS post for one of the Mystery-Box dinners. Was the Saveur recipe what you used as a basis for the the Mystery-Box dinner, but with the tamarind added because it was one of the Mystery-Box ingredients?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Fresh Ham/Red Chili Marinade by labradors (Bill, apart from you...)
YES!!! I could not find the post--Jane and I had decided to ask you if it was a mystery dinner--this was the first time I used tamarind and it was delicious with the ancho/vinegar paste!! Thanks for the help--you introduced me to a new ingredient--we were looking for something to do with pork and expanded it. Two years is a long time for my brain.
  Re: Re: Fresh Ham/Red Chili Marinade by Old Bay (YES!!! I could not f...)
O.K. are you going to repost your dinner recipe that you and Jane made?? sounds good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fresh Ham/Red Chili Marinade by cjs (O.K. are you going ...)
Quote:

O.K. are you going to repost your dinner recipe that you and Jane made?? sounds good.

Fresh Ham With Tamarind & Red Chili Paste

15 dried ancho chilis, stemmed and seeded
2T apple cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic, skinned and crushed
1 13-15 lb boneless, skinless fresh ham tied with kitchen twine
8 T butter, softened
6 T tamarind paste
salt & pepper

Put 8C water and 2 large pinches of salt in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Toast the chilis in a large skillet until fragrent and pliable, about 30 sec/side. Transfer the chilis to the boiling water and add vinegar and cook until soft, 15-20 min. Drain reserving 2C liquid. Transfer chilis to a blender, add garlic and cooking liquid as needed and puree to form a smooth paste. Season with salt & pepper.

Set oven rack in lower 3rd of onion and preheat to 325. Put ham into a large roasting pan and make 20+ incisions all over ham with the tip of a paring knife. Rub the butter all over ham, then rub with the tamarind paste, and finish by covering with the chili paste. Roast in oven, basting as needed until internal temp reaches 160, 5-6 hrs. The paste will get very dark and may burn slightly.

Transfer ham to cutting board or platter, remove twine, cover loosley with foil and let rest 20 min, before carving.
  Re: Re: Fresh Ham/Red Chili Marinade by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
@Bill: Tamarind is one of my favourite ingredients - such a wonderfully unique taste. Glad you liked it.

@Jean: HERE is what appears to be the Saveur recipe, but Bill will have to explain any changes he made.

LOL! We must have been posting at the same time, but I got delayed with the search for the recipe online. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Fresh Ham/Red Chili Marinade by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
That sounds really good Bill. I love the tamarind flavor too. I think this will be added to the pile of food that we hope to cook in the coming months.

Thank you for sharing!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fresh Ham/Red Chili Marinade by Harborwitch (That sounds really g...)
That looks really good! This will be tried!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fresh Ham/Red Chili Marinade by labradors (@Bill: Tamarind is o...)
Labs, I went on line and found several recipes for this dish, all very similar, but none using tamarind--the basic dish is apparantly very popular in Mexico. The tamarind adds a very nice flavor overtone.