What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13??
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by cjs (Oh Lorraine, how fun...)
As usual, your experiences are always entertaining, Lorraine. Wow, what a week you have had.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by Mare749 (As usual, your exper...)
I was howling, Lorraine. Reminds me of a wedding I served at the Inn several years ago. Without prior arrangement, the father of the bride decided that the servers should be dishing out the food from behind the buffet line rather than have the guests serve themselves. Okay, but it really screwed with the normal server duties.

Guests came in and almost every woman was dressed in the most beautiful saries(sp?) you have ever seen, every color of the rainbow, embroidered, simply gorgeous. They started going through the line - the menu was chicken cordon bleu, pot roast and one other entree that I can't remember. The salad choice was a pasta salad with cubed cheeses and lunch meats.

I inherited the chicken. They start to go through the line, and I am oblivious to the fact that they are muslim. Somebody asks what I am dishing out and I tell them and it dawns on them that it has ham. They start screaming at me, there are women crying at tables becuase it "touched their lips." I am shell shocked. For crying out loud - I didn't pick out this menu - the bride did, I am just dishing!

What a fiasco! The brides father is yelling at us. Turns out the only thing most could eat was the pot roast, it was horrible. He was so angry at us that he refused to pay for months, somehow holding the Inn responsible for this religious violation.

Now that is one of the first things I question when discussing menu with a couple. I just never got how the bride could have made those selections when 95% of her guests could not eat the food being offered.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by iBcookin (I was howling, Lorra...)
Another great story! Thanks, Linda.
Maryann

Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by iBcookin (I was howling, Lorra...)
I'm actually online earlier today than usual, so wanted to share my dinner choice with you all, but wow! I didn't expect to be entertained, too! Lorraine and iBcookin, you are two very special (and patient!)people to deal with those kinds of situations, even if those types of situations don't happen often.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by cjs (Oh Lorraine, how fun...)
Lorraine and Linda, those are hilarious stories. I'm sure it didn't seem that way at the time, but surely looking back you can laugh about it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by Gourmet_Mom (Lorraine and Linda, ...)
Linda, that is the catering job from hell!! I had a long post written that went into cyberspace, so here is the short version. Once a year, they judge all the Virginia wines and rate them. Tuesday, they were judging at the winery. Can we do a continental breakfast and lunch? Sure. What do you want served? Anything you have, because it's so short notice. None of the judges drank coffee or ate anything,because it would effect their palate. On to lunch, to be served at noon. At 11am, the head judge comes in to check the menu. No, that has onions in it, no, that has pepppers in it, no, that has garlic in it. So we revamp the whole menu. At 11:30, one judge announces she is vegetarian. Fine, the pasta sauce is vegetarian. When it was served, oh, I forgot to tell you I am deathly allergic to mushrooms. I got a bit bent out of shape, but, he said, "she can eat the salad". In the end, all were happy, other than her.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by Lorraine (Linda, that is the c...)
Where do these people come from???? Chels and I were talking about this the other day. I realize some people have legitimate allergies, but for the most part, if you actually are gluten intolerant, you know what you can and cannot eat, and either notify the restaurant in advance or you work around it. You just don't forget to tell the chef that you are deathly allergic to mushrooms, you put that out front!

Chels kind of got into it the other night with a customer who insisted that he needed gluten free food, but could have the honey mustard dressing on his salad. She politely informed him that the honey mustard was not gluten free because it had soy sauce in it, to which he informed her that soy sauce was just fine. Again, if it is life or death, you know exactly what you can or cannot eat.

I am perfectly willing to adjust for any dietary requirements, as long as I know in advance (30 minutes does not constitute advance in my book). Would make you want to mix up a box of Kraft mac & cheese for her, but then she would be concerned about the yellow dye!

I have a friend who insists short of doing a reality show, I should be journaling these experiences. Maybe we could write a book together (when we retire). Or maybe C@H should do a feature article on how we vent on the forum!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by Lorraine (Linda, that is the c...)
Lorraine, you two must have nerves of steel! You deserve a nice treat, I'm thinking.

Daphne, sorry I missed your post earlier, but wanted to express my condolences, and hope that your trip was uneventful. You did the right thing and I'm sure the family appreciated it.
Maryann

Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by Mare749 (Lorraine, you two mu...)
Depends upon the quality of the soy sauce. If it's the cheap stuff, it has hydrolysed soy protein. If it's better quality, it has soy that has been fermented along with wheat flour - hence the potential for gluten problems with some people.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Quote:

he refused to pay for months

That's why he requires full payment 5 days before the event. I bet you folks were sure glad to see the end of that event!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.