What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13??
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
What's on the menu, Lorraine?

Laura, your jars are just shimmering. Love it!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by Mare749 (What's on the menu, ...)
Sorry for the trip you have to make Daphne - but the family needs you.

So what's your menu, Lorraine??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by cjs (Sorry for the trip y...)
Quote:

Sorry for the trip you have to make Daphne - but the family needs you.

So what's your menu, Lorraine??

How exciting Lorraine! Yeah, what are you going to have?

Thank you Maryann! et al.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by Gourmet_Mom (My mother's brother ...)
Sorry for your loss Daphne, and please be careful with the incoming inclement weather.

I'm doing something I haven't done is a long time - I'm marinating pork chops in a combination of canola oil, Tamari soy sauce, minced garlic and ground ginger. Then I'll gently fry them.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by BarbaraS (Sorry for your loss ...)
Thanks everybody.

Barbara, that is one of my worries. I'm hoping we can sneak the trip in between waves of weather. BTW, Barbara, your pork chops sound really good. I'll be interested to hear how they turn out.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks everybody.[br...)
Well, gotta say this grilled Flat Iron steak was very, very tasty!!! What an easy dinner after traveling & sitting on our butts!!

[Image: Mar5GrilledFlatIronSteakpoatatoesonions_zps2fd9ecb6.jpg]

[Image: Mar5FlatIronStk_zpsa0779439.jpg]

I'm going to play with a new pizza with the leftovers - "Steak Dinner Pizza" haven't decided on a cheese yet....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by cjs (Well, gotta say this...)
I would have to put some gorgonzola or bleu cheese crumbles on that Steak Dinner Pizza!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by luvnit (I would have to put ...)
I hope you made it there ok, Daphne. The storm hit us earlier than expected, and everything here is closed today (Wednesday).

Turns out, the folks were not students. They are teachers who were here for a seminar. Long way to come for seminar if you ask me! We gave them a typical Southern menu:

Mixed greens with roasted beets, shaved goat cheese, with a Fig and Port dressing
Roasted Pork Loin (with his Canadian rub), mashed sweet potatoes, parmesan grits and braised greens
Warm Bailey's cheesecake bread pudding with caramel sauce and whipped cream

We specifically asked the two organizers about dietary restrictions/ customs. With only 20 people, this should have been easy to determine. They came back and said the menu was fine. We had pre set the salad, and filled the water glasses with ice water. They don't drink ice water, only warm water. We removed the glasses and sent out warm water. Main course goes out, 6 plates come back. They are Muslim and don't eat pork. Sent out 6 new plates without pork. They wanted wine served throughout the meal, so we brought in an extra staff member for the wine service. Well, at least half of them don't drink. The two organizers were mortified that they had really missed the boat on this one. They were however, really happy with the meal and service. They usually take the folks to DC for dinner, and this was much more convenient, and better food. It was kind of funny, whenever I went into the dining room, I was addressed as "Chef Lady". We sure were glad to see the end of the evening!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by Lorraine (I hope you made it t...)
For being teachers, it sounds as though they have a lot to learn.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Tues., 3/5/13?? by labradors (For being teachers, ...)
Oh Lorraine, how funny!! I hope you guys are keeping a journal for when you retire and write a book!!!!

I'm with you, Laura - probably gorgonzola or bleu
www.achefsjourney.com