Kitchen appliances. My head goes round and round.
  Re: (...)
Our builder set a budget on kitchen appliances for our new house and I've been researching. I probably don't need to say that, on a dialup internet connection, I've become very frustrated. I've looked at articles on best-rated, worst-rated, best repair history, etc. until I think my head will explode!

SO, tell me, what are your favorite appliance brands? Have you had any bad "appliance experiences", either with the unit itself or the company? Any "good appliance experiences"?

If you had to wipe your kitchen out and start all over, what major appliances would you put in it?

I now have a short list of what I want, and brands, but I want to hear about your thoughts, too, since I could be missing something.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Kitchen appliances. My head goes round and round. by foodfiend (Our builder set a bu...)
When we totally renovated our kitchen about two years ago, I fell in love with Miele appliances...functionality, repair record, design...I totally loved them. However, when the reality check (price tag and an engineer who shall remain nameless...) really got taken into account, I found that the higher-end KitchenAid gave me the style and functionality I desired at a significantly lower cost. Since I was re-doing a kitchen in a house I don't expect to live in 10 years from now, the decision made sense to me. As it turns out, I totally love the appliances we purchased, and have friends with the more upscale brands who have had many more complaints. My dishwahser is all but silent, I've got 20,000 BTUs on my cooktop, etc.

The one thing I'd do differently is to have my hood measure 6 inches wider than the range. I knew that I wanted that, but my kitchen designer looked at me like I had two heads because it was going to cost me storage space. Obviously, he didn't cook as much as I do!
  Re: Re: Kitchen appliances. My head goes round and round. by karyn (When we totally reno...)
I had a KitchenAid dishwasher and replaced with a Bosch when we did our remodel. Our family room and kitchen are divided only the stove island, so quiet was paramount. I love, no pre-rinsing and it is hard to tell it is on, it is so quiet.

We also replaced our wall oven with a big Dakor convection. Super happy with it, can fit full sheet pans, self cleaning and is full convection as well as convection and regular bake and broil.

We have to have downdraft for our stove because a Hood would not work well, so we've always had JenAirs (a couple over the last 37 years).

The thing that had the biggest impact was changing the cabinet structure. We had 2 windows and replaced one with a cabinet. To make up for the light loss, we converted the one behind the sink to a bay/plant window and got a flush sink. BTW, I made sure one of the sinks was big enough for my biggest pots and I could put my PC in it to cool fast. That gives me lots of space behind the sink to soak stuff when needed and the racks are great for herbs, etc. We also put clear glass between the cabinet and the counter where the other window was and that provides plenty of light.

We redesigned the cabinets to use all of the space and eliminate hard to reach areas. So we have a slim cabinet that I use for spices to the left of the sink. Did a smaller one, a corner and a regular on the other side. I can to the back of the corner one. Below, we got sliders for the pots and pansm since it is on the corner, and a little one for cookie trays and racks. On the other side of the fridge, we did another small one, great for cereals and then a longer one. In that bottom corner we put a lazy susan. I am able to store my pizza stone and large tray on the sides.

We chose drawers and storage space instead of a warming oven, and set the oven so it was not too low and the microwave above could be accessed. I have the biggest portable Panasonic Inverter (fits a 9" X 13" on the rotating tray) which I would want to be without. We were able to find trim to make it look built-in.

I guess my point is don't shortchange the cabinets for the appliances. It is likely the appliances will be replaced first, since they don't seem to last as long as they used to last.

Don't forget under the cabinet lights and ceiling fan if you can have one. (We cut into our ceiling and effectively raised part of it so we could angle lights in there and put a ceiling fan in the middle).

Good luck.
  Re: Re: Kitchen appliances. My head goes round and round. by Cubangirl (I had a KitchenAid d...)
This idea is not re appliances, but keep in mind full-extension drawers on every drawer - you wont' be sorry.

I won't list our applicances as we've done so many remodel jobs in our 40+ years (remodeling seems to have been a habit of ours), but never having had a problem with any of our choices, I'd just say - Dacor, Kenmore Pro are two of our favorites.

Warming drawer - I wouldn't want to be without one, ever!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Kitchen appliances. My head goes round and round. by cjs (This idea is not re ...)
I agree. Full extension drawers are fabulous. Don't have a warming drawer, but sure would love to have one.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Kitchen appliances. My head goes round and round. by Mare749 (I agree. Full extens...)
I love that the new Microwave can be used as a warming drawer, okay "warming cabinet".
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Kitchen appliances. My head goes round and round. by Mare749 (I agree. Full extens...)
I chose cabinets over a warming drawer so I've had to improvise. I was so happy when I found our Breville Toaster oven has a warming function. Not as good as a real drawer but better than nothing.

For proofing bread, I boil water in a 4 cup Pyrex cup in the microwave, turn if off and leave it there and then put the bread in. Works really well.
  Re: Re: Kitchen appliances. My head goes round and round. by Cubangirl (I chose cabinets ove...)
Alina,

I'm looking around for a new toaster oven and hit the Breville site. Which model do you have?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Kitchen appliances. My head goes round and round. by BarbaraS (Alina,[br][br]I'm lo...)
We absolutely love it and use several times a day. I basically don't use the big oven unless I am baking a big batch of cookies, or two layer cake, etc. For most things we use the little guy. It refreshes pizza's, french fries, fried foods, etc. like new. This is the model we have. I highly recommend it and it got CI's top rating as well as Consumer Reports.
  Re: Re: Kitchen appliances. My head goes round and round. by Cubangirl (I chose cabinets ove...)
Quote:

I chose cabinets over a warming drawer so I've had to improvise. I was so happy when I found our Breville Toaster oven has a warming function. Not as good as a real drawer but better than nothing.

For proofing bread, I boil water in a 4 cup Pyrex cup in the microwave, turn if off and leave it there and then put the bread in. Works really well.

Alina, I use my microwave in a similar fashion to proof bread. I have also used my crockpotSmile Quick and easy proofing.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura