What's for Dinner, Wed., 2/27/13??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today, everyone? Can anyone believe one more day and it will be March already???? (and we've been on the road 3 mos + 10 days and we haven't killed each other yet??)

All I can say is I'd better not go 4 days in a row without cooking again - I think I forgot how to cook. Leftover ribs and truffle fries - ribs were o.k., but I burned the heck out of the fires, couldn't even eat them. So, ended up eating some ribs and having popcorn later. On top of that, I had made some Portugese Beans the day before we hit Bill & Jane's and I had put 1/2 of it in the fridge to cool before freezing. Found the container at the back of the fridge yesterday. darn and it was a good batch - down the tubes!

We're having fried potatoes and onions with ham for a brunch this a.m. then just relaxing and reading all day - may beat Roy at Cribbage a few games.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 2/27/13?? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
You guys obviously have been made for each other!

I'm thinking about some kind of grilled chicken peanut satay but don't have a particular recipe in mind yet. Can anyone recall a C@H version or have one they like to use?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 2/27/13?? by Trixxee (You guys obviously h...)
OK, already changed my mind. I'm going to try the grilled Sweet & Hot Pepper Chicken from one of the grilling books. You basically combine bbq sauce and hot pepper jelly together, then top with pepperjack cheese at the end. Sounds easy enough.

Probably a baked potato and a tossed salad with it.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 2/27/13?? by Trixxee (OK, already changed ...)
Spicy citrus shrimp with parsley rice and asparagus.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 2/27/13?? by Roxanne 21 (Spicy citrus shrimp ...)
Whoo, Trixxee, that sounds so good!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 2/27/13?? by cjs (Whoo, Trixxee, that ...)
I'm going to have to look for that Sweet & Hot Pepper Chicken recipe. It sounds delicious!

We're trying another new recipe - the Braised Lamb Shawarma from the latest issue of Fine Cooking. I sure hope it's better than last night's dinner!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 2/27/13?? by karyn (I'm going to have to...)
Last night wound up being leftovers. Tonight is the chicken piccata, gnocchi with brown butter and a bit of truffle oil, and red chard. I hope.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 2/27/13?? by Harborwitch (Last night wound up ...)
The sweet and hot pepper chicken is on page 29 of the grilling book with the five-spice plum chicken on the cover. But here is the very simple recipe in the meantime.

Makes 4 servings.

1/4 cup bottled bbq sauce
2 Tbsp. hot pepper jelly
4 boneless skinless chicken halves
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (or regular jack)
1 jalapeno, sliced

Preheat grill to med-high.

Combine bbq sauce and pepper jelly in a small sauce pan over low heat, whisking often until jelly is melted.

Season chicken with S&P. Brush with sauce.

Grill covered over direct heat for 8 minutes. Flip chicken every 2 minutes and brush with more sauce.

Top each piece of chicken with 1/4 shredded cheese. Garnish with jalapeno slices.

I decided that this really needs some corn on the cob with lime butter to go with it.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 2/27/13?? by Trixxee (The sweet and hot pe...)
Tonight I'm making the Japanese fried chicken w/ sushi rice from issue 98.

Trixxee, this is the best chicken satay EVER!!! (for me anyway)

Chicken Satay
Ingredients
• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 1/2 cup coconut milk
• 1 tablespoon fish sauce
• 2 teaspoons red curry paste
• 1 teaspoon palm sugar or brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
• 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Bamboo skewers, soaked in cold water
Instructions
In a bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients except the chicken. Slice the chicken into long, thin strips and pound it to flatten it. Add the chicken to marinade. Turn chicken to coat, cover and refrigerate at least one hour.
Thread each chicken strip onto a skewer. Grill for 7 minutes or until done, turning once. Serve with the peanut sauce.

Peanut Sauce
Ingredients
• 1 cup coconut milk
• 1 tbsp. red curry paste
• 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
• 1/2 cup chicken stock
• 1/4 cup palm sugar or brown sugar
• 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
• 1 tsp. salt
Instructions
Put coconut milk in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk in curry pate until dissolved. Whisk in the peanut butter, chicken stock and sugar. Reduce heat and simmer until smooth, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add lime juice and salt. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner, Wed., 2/27/13?? by losblanos1 (Tonight I'm making t...)
Thanks Blane! I might just make that tomorrow night!