Lorraine - This One's For You!!
  Re: (...)
Saw this on a F&W newsletter and thought of you and your Canadian fries dish. Can't remember the name but it starts with a "T" - Man, this one looks good.

Ooops - forgot the picture - what drew me in!!
[Image: frenchfries_zps80c3dc59.jpg]

French Fries with Bulgogi and Caramelized Kimchi

Austin is loaded with food trucks, and the Korean-Mexican-Texan mash-up that is Chi’Lantro is one of chef Aarón Sanchez’s favorites. For his famous late-night snack, Chi’Lantro chef and owner Jae Kim tops hot french fries with caramelized kimchi, grilled Korean-style beef and a mayonnaise spiked with Sriracha.

bulgogi
1 small onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs distilled white vinegar
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 lb boneless rib eye steak, cut into very thin, 3-inch slices
2 Tbs vegetable oil
--------------
toppings
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 Tbs Korean chile paste (gochujang)
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 cup kimchi
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 Tbs Sriracha, plus more for serving
1 lb hot french fries
Shredded cheddar, chopped white onion, toasted sesame seeds and cilantro, for serving

1. MAKE THE BULGOGI In a resealable plastic bag, combine the onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and sesame oil. Add the rib eye and toss to coat. Seal the bag and refrigerate overnight.

2. Drain the meat, pick off the solids and pat dry. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil until smoking. Add the meat and cook over high heat, turning once, until lightly browned, 4 minutes. Transfer the meat to a plate and keep warm. Rinse out the skillet and wipe dry.

3. PREPARE THE TOPPINGS In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, vinegar, chile paste and soy sauce. Add the kimchi and toss to coat. Heat the skillet until very hot. Add the kimchi and cook over high heat until the liquid is thickened and glossy and the kimchi is browned in spots, about 5 minutes.

4. In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the 3 tablespoons of Sriracha.

5. Scatter the French fries on a platter and top with the bulgogi and kimchi. Drizzle with some of the Sriracha mayonnaise and sprinkle with cheddar, onion, sesame seeds and cilantro. Serve with additional Sriracha. 4 servings
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Lorraine - This One's For You!! by cjs (Saw this on a F&W ne...)
Isn't it poutine?
  Re: Re: Lorraine - This One's For You!! by iBcookin (Isn't it poutine?...)
Poutine! Those fries look amazing Jean. Might have to make those one of these days.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Lorraine - This One's For You!! by cjs (Saw this on a F&W ne...)
Poutine still on menus around here! Like this one.....

Spring Vegetarian Poutine with Fresh Spring Peas, Black Trumpet Mushrooms and Dill Béchamel

Seth Morrison
Chef/Partner
The Gallows
Boston, MA

Ingredients
•6 tablespoons butter
•4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
•4 cups milk
•2 teaspoons salt
•1/2 cup fresh-shucked spring peas
•3/4 cup black trumpet mushrooms
•1 tablespoon fresh dill
•2 cups French fries
•1/2 cup house-made cheese curds
House-made Cheese Curds •1 gallon whole milk
•1/4 cup lemon juice
•Strainer or cheesecloth

Directions
1.Heat 5 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth and the mixture turns a light, golden-sandy color, about 6 to 7 minutes.
2.Heat the milk just about to a boil. Add the hot milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, sitrring contantly, then remove from heat. Season with salt and dill, and set aside until ready to use.
3.Bring a small pot of water to a boil. While waiting for water to boil, fill a medium bowl with ice water. When the water is boiling, drop peas in the water for 30 seconds and then strain them over a sink. After straining, immediately plunge peas into the ice water.
4.Add 1 tablespoon butter to sauté pan over low heat, until it melts and coats bottom of pan. Toss in mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms lose some of their moisture and start to barely crisp up. Add peas and toss for 1 minutes until warmed. Season with salt and pepper.
5.To assemble, toss fries in a large kitchen bowl with salt. Then plate in a large bowl and top with house-made cheese curds, peas, mushrooms and béchamel.
French Fries 1.Peel potatoes and cut on a fry press, then soak in water overnight. This draws out the starch from the potato to cover the outside of the fry, which results in a nice, crispy fry.
2.The next day, dry the fries, deep fry at a low temperature (around 275 degrees F) for about 7 minutes, then lay them out on a baking rack to dry/cool. When poutine is ordered drop fries back in the deep fryer at 350 degrees F for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes.
House-made Cheese Curds 1.Place milk in a large stockpot. Over medium heat, warm milk to 180 degrees F, or just below boiling.
2.Slowly mix in the lemon juice 1 tablespoon at a time, while stirring.
3.Remove from heat and let rest for 20 minutes; the curds and whey should separate.
4.Scoop out curds and place in strainer, or cheesecloth stretched over a large bowl, until the whey drains off and only curds remain.

This is in the Idaho Potato calendar (from Plate) and is the cover dish.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Lorraine - This One's For You!! by pjcooks (Poutine still on men...)
Then what is the dish that starts with "T"????

Yes, Poutine is the one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lorraine - This One's For You!! by cjs (Then what is the dis...)
I know the word your talking about, but I can't remember. All I know is that it always reminds me of turine. And she makes it at Thanksgiving and/or Christmas.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lorraine - This One's For You!! by Gourmet_Mom (I know the word your...)
Jean, I think we saw that (or something very similar) on Diners, Drive In etc. I tell you, Gil was all over it! All of the food trucks I have seen out of Austin look amazing.
Daphne, I think the "T" dish i make at Christmas is the Tourtiere. Can't think of any other "T" word dish, Duly copied, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Lorraine - This One's For You!! by Lorraine (Jean, I think we saw...)
That's the one I was thinking of!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lorraine - This One's For You!! by Gourmet_Mom (That's the one I was...)
Me, too!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lorraine - This One's For You!! by Lorraine (Jean, I think we saw...)
Lorraine I meant to make Tourtiere for Christmas but for just the two of us - and limited cold storage . . . when the "Grandson" comes home! Francois was so tickled that I made it for him one year and we just loved it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!