T.G.I.F. Dinner, 2/1/13
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for the first day of February??

Today is Nat.'l Baked Alaska Day - Wow, I used to make these in the 60s.

Not sure what we'll have, but I do want to use the corn tortillas that I froze (for testing). Maybe you all will inspire me.

P.S. Well, we were certainly underwhelmed with Denham Springs, LA.... Everything I looked for had gone out of business 1-2 years before.

But we did find a winery (touted as the first licensed winery in the state of Louisiana), way, way, up in the netherlands - so far, I was beginning to wonder if we were in Deliverance country...........

The winemaker is a Frenchman and he was so interesting! But, and this is just pure horsepuckie - you can not taste wine in LA before you buy it or just to taste. Must buy as is. Just ridiculous. So won't be looking for anymore wineries here. And, I'll call ahead for each state to find out if they also have this restriction.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 2/1/13 by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Did you buy any?

Since summertime has returned, again, we are having grilled rib-eyes with a choron sauce (Blane made this sauce a few weeks ago and I never could get it out of my head), those salt and vinegar potatoes, and a salad.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 2/1/13 by Trixxee (Did you buy any?[br]...)
Yes, we bought 4 bottles - one I bought 2 of the same so I can taste and make a reduction out of it. I'm afraid I don't have real high hopes for them, but maybe they will surprise us.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 2/1/13 by cjs (Yes, we bought 4 bot...)
Jean, don't know if you saw Tony Bourdain's show "The Layover" this week. He was in New Orleans and showed some interesting places. I think you can watch current episodes online if you are interested.

Have not decided on dinner just yet. Still looking for inspiration.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 2/1/13 by Mare749 (Jean, don't know if ...)
Geez, everyone in the world is in New Orleans this week!!!! Thanks Maryann.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 2/1/13 by cjs (Geez, everyone in th...)
Trixxee, we're off by one day from you in meal planning...tomorrow is steak with chimichurri for us. Tonight, I'm doing something simple. Either mac&cheese or quesadillas.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 2/1/13 by karyn (Trixxee, we're off b...)
Grrrrrrrrrrrr! Once again, out for too long to get started with the Mystery Box. I'll do it tomorrow and I'm going to start in the morning and not go anywhere else for anyone else.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 2/1/13 by labradors (Grrrrrrrrrrrr! Once...)
That is an odd law if you ask me! You are braver than me to buy that wine blind. LOL!

I went to the store for steak and walked out with hot dogs and fries. LOL! None of the steaks looked that great for the price.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.