General Tips - Grating Onion
  Re: (...)
Can't find the darn thread so I'll post this here - another of those ideas that if you all do this already, you should have told me.

My Roquefort (Bleu cheese) dressing and a few other dishes call for grated onion. I hate grating onions, they end up coming apart into layers and it's a pain.

Yesterday, I grabbed my garlic crusher and rough chopped some onions and put them in it and crushed. Perfect!! Duh, I could have save a lot of knuckles over this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: General Tips - Grating Onion by cjs (Can't find the damn ...)
That really is a great idea, except I don't have a garlic crusher. So, I have to either mince it fine, or sometimes put it in the food processor.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: General Tips - Grating Onion by Mare749 (That really is a gre...)
Good idea! (I don't have a press either though). My eyes seem to be getting more and more sensitive to cutting/grating onions all the time.
  Re: Re: General Tips - Grating Onion by Trixxee (Good idea! (I don't...)
Trixxee, I'm the same way anymore, which is why I use the FP so much. Another trick that helps is to light a candle and keep it next to the cutting board while you are working with onions. It does help.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: General Tips - Grating Onion by Mare749 (Trixxee, I'm the sam...)
For the amounts I'm talking about a food processor will not work - most of the recipes calling for grated onion only call for 1 - 3 tsps. Plus mincing doesn't work because the whole reason for grating the onion is to release the onion juice also. hence, the grated knuckles...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: General Tips - Grating Onion by cjs (For the amounts I'm ...)
I use one of those little choppers/food processors and it works beautifully. I will try the garlic press though, clever idea.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: General Tips - Grating Onion by Roxanne 21 (I use one of those l...)
If all you need is a small amount try the microplane over the food way. Grab the onion, cut the end and take the peel off a bit, or all (I do it all and then put in my onion holder). Hold your onion with one hand and run the microplane over it with the other. The bits of onion stay on the microplane and your knuckles are safe. It is usually easier to clean than the garlic press unless you already use that for garlic. I use it for ginger as well.
  Re: Re: General Tips - Grating Onion by Cubangirl (If all you need is a...)
I have used the microplane, but for me I find the garlic press is the easiest for me and easiest to rinse out.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: General Tips - Grating Onion by cjs (I have used the micr...)
Nice tip! I'll have to give this a try! Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.