Lab's Mystery Dinner -
  Re: (...)
Thought we'd better do a sticky and I can edit and add the chosen review date after Labs picks a date.

HERE IS WHAT WE HAVE SO FAR: REVIEW DATE: FEB. 18, 2013

*Spices are free -
cabbage (any variety) (Maryann)
Fresh Pasta, homemade if possible. (Alina)
Onions (Trixxee)
Pork (Sharon)
Cheese (Blane)
Fennel (Bill)
Mushrooms (Denise)
Pretzels (Jean)
Tomatoes (Roxanne)
Carrots (Labs)

-------------------
And here is Lab's post re dos/don's -
For Blane and anyone else not familiar with either our birthday dinners or mystery-box challenges, here are some general guidelines (usually subject to broad, rather than strict interpretation) I wrote up a while back:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although this forum generally revolves around the content of the magazine, many of the members contribute additional recipes or information to be discussed and enjoyed by everyone else. Two of the fun things we like to do are "birthday dinners" and "mystery-box challenges."

BIRTHDAY DINNERS:
Each month, we have someone whose birthday is in that month choose recipes they would like to put together as a birthday meal, then whoever wishes to participate will make the selected dishes at home and we all post our comments within a single message thread on the chooser's birthday (and not sooner). We usually try to choose those recipes from the current issue of Cuisine at Home, but back issues and even unrelated sources are acceptable. Keeping with the magazine as much as possible allows each participant to provide a review of each recipe, as well as to offer suggestions for improvements or variations. The recipe selection includes an appetiser, entrée, side, and dessert, but if some participants cannot or don't feel like making the entire meal, they are free to make and review any parts of it as they wish.

MYSTERY-BOX CHALLENGES:
In the spirit of Iron Chef, Chopped, and other such shows, we sometimes put together what we call "mystery-box challenges." Contrary to birthday dinners or other reviews, these challenges begin with ingredients rather than recipes. At the beginning of the challenge, each participant will suggest an ingredient that is supposed to be used in creating an entrée and side. The following items are considered "free," and may be used as desired:
Salt

Pepper

Oil, butter or fat

Flour

Milk or cream

Stock
Otherwise, the only ingredients that may be used are the ones from the mystery box, and ALL of the mystery-box ingredients should be used in some way. Apart from that, the idea is to have fun by being creative, making up new recipes and exchanging these ideas with others for everyone's enjoyment. It's just a shame that we can't all actually be together, in one big dining room, to present these creations for immediate tasting. There are no prizes for participating, and there are no "winners" or endorsements of any kind, but the ultimate "prize" for everyone is that we usually get some great recipes and ideas we may never have tried before.

Cuisine at Home is a publication that does not accept advertising, but we do understand that some recipes or discussions may include brand names within non-advertising contexts. This does NOT imply Cuisine at Home's endorsement of any given product, and we do NOT want people to Spam the boards with recipes or chatter primarily intended as free advertising for their products. Please help to keep this forum a friendly place for members to enjoy Cuisine at Home and cooking, in general, without undue commercial interference. Thank you.

-----------------
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Lab's Mystery Dinner - by cjs (Thought we'd better ...)
If onions aren't on the freebie list, then onions (any kind - yellow, white, brown, red, green, blue). Oh wait, I don't think there are any blue onions - yet.
  Re: Re: Lab'as Mystery Dinner - by Trixxee (If onions aren't on ...)
Pork
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Asparagus! Just kidding.

I choose cheese, your choice! Cheddar, parmesan, bleu, swiss, etc...
@Blane: At one time, we were a little more strict about additional spices, etc., but we pretty much consider that part of the available pantry, now, unless specific restrictions are made because some particular spice is chosen as one of the box ingredients.

@Jean, Maryann already included cabbage of "any variety," and Brussels Sprouts are a part of that family. (Aside from that, I've never seen them down here.)

@Alina, Fresh pasta is a GREAT idea! That's a unique twist that we haven't had before and it has LOTS of possibilities, too!

Oh, yeah: Jean, could you please correct the subject line(s)?

One more note for Blane: Although not required, try to keep track of what you do and, on review day, post the recipe(s) that you create, along with pictures and your actual review. Measuring your ingredients and writing down the recipe makes you give your creation a little more thought AND it gives other participants a chance to try your creation, if they like the description and want to make it. Plus, if it REALLY works out well, you'll be able to make the same dish again, some time in the future.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Lab's Mystery Dinner - by labradors (@Blane: At one time,...)
Labs, when we did the other dinner, I did not realize that only the ingredients in the basket could be used. In chopped and Iron Chef, the chosen ingredients have to be the star but they can use a pantry. Basics such as aromatics and wine are not in the free items, but 90% of what I like to eat has some sort of sofrito to start, need acidity e.g. lime, lemon or wine as well. So I think spices and those should be included unless one is a must have.

So we have so far?

Cabbage,
Pork,
Fresh Pasta
Cheese
  Re: Re: Lab's Mystery Dinner - by Cubangirl (Labs, when we did th...)
No problem, Cubana. The "rule" text I posted in the other thread and that Jean copied to this one was something I wrote back when the mystery-box challenges were a little more restrictive. I agree that the selected ingredients should NOT be the limit of what is allowed. Once we have all agreed on what limits there should be, if any, I'll rewrite that text and post it for future reference.

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Lab's Mystery Dinner - by cjs (Thought we'd better ...)
May I offer fennel, in any form, bulb, fronds, seeds, dried or fresh? Sounds interesting with cabbage and sprouts.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Lab'as Mystery Dinner - by Old Bay (May I offer fennel, ...)
Mushrooms
  Re: Re: Lab'as Mystery Dinner - by DFen911 (Mushrooms [img]/ubbt...)
I choose pretzels
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com