A Night in Austin w CheeseMonger & Eric
  Re: (...)
What a wonderful foodie experience we had with Allison and Eric Smith (Bill & Jane's daughter and son) at Contigo Restaurant in Ausin. The restaurant was the dream of a Texas family who owns a large ranch in So. Texas and they wanted to replicate their dining/entertainment in a restaurant. And, did they ever succeed. What a wonderful place - the service impecable and the food was outstanding.

[Image: Contigo_tonemapped.jpg]

We started with Popcorn tossed with peanuts, cinnamon & cayenne - delicious.

Moved on to three Charcuterie orders:
(not a good picture, but we dug in before I could get my camera out)

Top: Pork Liver Pate, Eggplant Fritter, Contigo Ranch Honey (the taste of pate, honeyed fritter together was a perfect bite)
Bottom: Foie Gras Torchon, Foie Gras Corn Dog, caramelized apple puree, (made in house) Brioche. (have never had this quality of Torchon before - think the freshest, sweetest butter melting in your mouth. And the corn dog w/apple puree - heaven)

[Image: Jan232charcuterieplatters.jpg]

Third charcuterie: Face Bacon: (cheeks, snout, ears,tongue) with pickled tomatillos. I loved the flavor and the texture which managed to be subtly different with each 'chew' - not too beautifully described, but I don't have the words. )

[Image: Jan23CharcuteriePlatter.jpg]

Roy and Eric had: the Daily Fresh Sausage with Baguette, Dijon, Onions, French Fries (Eric) or sauerkraut (Roy) and deep fried battered green beans - the beans were quite tasty.

Allison had:Mussels with Yellow Curry, Coconut Milk, and mint - the broth was scrumptious.

I had: Octopus with radish, frisee, lardons, hominy, and Chili broth

[Image: Jan23AllisonsMussels.jpg]
[Image: Jan23MyOctopus.jpg]

I can't believe I have not prepared octopus before, but I'm going to look for it now and play.

Bill & Jane, you have the most wonderful family and I hope someday we can also spend some time with Bert and Holly!! I'm ready to adopt Allison and Eric away from you, but could I handle 10 kids??????

Allison has today off, so after she sleeps in a tad, we're off exploring Austin. Another oil/vinegar plant is in the schedule and don't know what else yet.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A Night in Austin w CheeseMonger & Eric by cjs (What a wonderful foo...)
Amazing! I was hoping you'd get the face bacon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A Night in Austin w CheeseMonger & Eric by Gourmet_Mom (Amazing! I was hopi...)
Yes, it really was amazing, Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Night in Austin w CheeseMonger & Eric by cjs (Yes, it really was a...)
You guys are having TOO MUCH FUN!!!! Thanks for sharing your adventure
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: A Night in Austin w CheeseMonger & Eric by cjs (What a wonderful foo...)
I'm so glad you all enjoyed the evening!!! I would have enjoyed the mussels and found some way to have eaten saurkraut with them. Jane would have starved!!! YUK!!! Worst menu I've ever seen!!! We don't do the 5th quarter and liver (I don't care how much it costs) will never pass my lips. Seriously, glad you are having a good time--and in spite of last nite there is some really good food in Austin!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: A Night in Austin w CheeseMonger & Eric by Old Bay (I'm so glad you all ...)
Oh for heaven sakes, you wuss!!!!!! And here I brought you a doggie bag!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Night in Austin w CheeseMonger & Eric by cjs (Oh for heaven sakes,...)
Wow, that is some food experience! Glad you are having so much fun! Love the description and pics.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A Night in Austin w CheeseMonger & Eric by Mare749 (Wow, that is some fo...)
How fun! Nice pics.
  Re: Re: A Night in Austin w CheeseMonger & Eric by Trixxee (How fun! Nice pics....)
Oh what a fun time! Loving some of the food. I think it's so neat you got to enjoy some time with them
  Re: Re: A Night in Austin w CheeseMonger & Eric by DFen911 (Oh what a fun time! ...)
Charcuterie Platters, our favourite meal! We were talking the day about our last trip to Montreal, and how we missed them. Great pictures.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.