Dinner, Wed., 1/23/13??
  Re: (...)
What’s on the menu for all today??

Today is Nat’l Pie Day!

We have only ~60 miles to drive today, so I’m making a brunch before we leave sans the bubbly. From my new 300 Best Tacos, Asian Chicken Tacos with Spicy Asian Sauce.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner, Wed., 1/23/13?? by cjs (What’s on the menu f...)
Ina's Perfect Roast Chicken with potato mash and a green salad.

Last night I did a Chicken Divan from a Saveur recipe....TERRIBLE!!! I really don't know what happened because the ingredients were everything we love...Peter is not fond of casseroles but was a good sport, as usual. That just put another nail in the coffin of casseroles...
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed., 1/23/13?? by Roxanne 21 (Ina's Perfect Roast ...)
It always amazes me when I try a recipe which includes everything we like and turns out we don't like the dish. How can that be??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Quote:

Last night I did a Chicken Divan from a Saveur recipe....TERRIBLE!!!

Roxanne - I made a chicken divan recipe a few weeks ago and I swear it was the worst dinner I have ever made. I should just stick with the simple recipe for it my mom used to make with good old american cheese on top and put under the broiler at the end and served on spaghetti.

Tonight we are having leftover hungarian meatballs but I might make subs out of them rather than over any pasta or rice. Just not sure of what kind of cheese, if any, I would add to the sandwich. Maybe just some parmesan sprinkled on top - parm goes with everything, right?
Quote:

Ina's Perfect Roast Chicken with potato mash and a green salad.

Last night I did a Chicken Divan from a Saveur recipe....TERRIBLE!!! I really don't know what happened because the ingredients were everything we love...Peter is not fond of casseroles but was a good sport, as usual. That just put another nail in the coffin of casseroles...

Was the recipe from Vol 98 (Dec 2006)? I think we did that one years ago--no notes were made. It must have been unremarkable.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed., 1/23/13?? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
It was a recipe that I picked up on line...daughter Wendy sends over Saveur recipes to try and most of them I do. This was the WORST. Trixxie---you are sooo right!!!
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed., 1/23/13?? by Roxanne 21 (It was a recipe that...)
That's a shame, Roxanne. I hate when that happens, too.

My story is slightly different from yours. Last night, I made Classic Cannelloni, a Cuisine recipe that I have used many times. It is a fabulous recipe and always turns out delicious. However, yesterday, was a nightmare in the kitchen for me and I still don't know why.

I did the meat prep early in the day because I never feel like spending that much time in the kitchen after Ron gets home. The meat prep went fine. Then, I soaked the lasagna noodles in hot water to soften them up for rolling. I thought that I had separated them well enough, but not so. They all stuck together and when I took them out, they shredded. So, into the garbage they went.

Next, I decided to make crespelle, since I prefer them in this dish ever since Sharon gave me the recipe. That went perfectly, so no problem. I rolled up the cannelloni, put them into the baking dish to finish later.

That turned into another mess. When I made the bechemel, I burned it and it bubbled all over the stove. Another mess to clean up and start over. Finally, got the dish in the oven by 6:30 last night and it was absolutely delicious, but still haven't figured out why I was such a klutz in the kitchen yesterday.

ETA: Sorry, forgot to post what's for dinner. I'm headed for Chinatown this afternoon, so will probably bring home some red-cooked chicken and duck.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed., 1/23/13?? by Mare749 (That's a shame, Roxa...)
Roxanne I have done that recipe about 4 times now and love it!

For us I am hoping to grill, depends on if the rains come in. Have a few chicken thighs to cook up, but nothing fancy.
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed., 1/23/13?? by DFen911 (Roxanne I have done ...)
But was it the Saveur recipe or the c@h that everyone has done in the recent past? I will look at that one again and if I'm brave enough to present another casserole to the dear groom, maybe I will sneak it in.....
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed., 1/23/13?? by Roxanne 21 (But was it the Saveu...)
I personally did the c@h version with rye bread crumbs on top (and mixed in). That was probably the worst part of it for me.