Standing rib roast temperature?
  Re: (...)
For New Years Eve, I made a 4bone, 9lb standing rib roast. The bones were cut and retied by the butcher. The recipe I had called for meat to sit at room temp for 2 hours before placing in the oven. I used a convection roast setting to 450° for first 20 minutes then reduced heat to 350 until internal temp reached 128°. (Recipe said 125-130 for medium rare)I let the meat rest for under an hour and it rose to 152° with lightly tented foil. The meat looked medium well with a medium center. Anyone know why the temp rose so much? Convection?
  Re: Standing rib roast temperature? by thaigyrr (For New Years Eve, I...)
I am sure someone will come along with a much better technical answer. I always pull mine at 115 - cook to temp not to time. I think Jean (cjs) has a recent post about holding a beef roast that you might want to look at.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Standing rib roast temperature? by Harborwitch (I am sure someone wi...)
Well, I'm no expert but the larger the piece of meat the more residual heat (cooking) you'll have. Did the recipe/method you used call for a particular weight of roast? Sounds like you tented it properly.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Standing rib roast temperature? by thaigyrr (For New Years Eve, I...)
I did a 7 rib, 18#er for Christmas. I actually put it in the oven (off, of course) overnight to let it warm up somewhat. I did a sear (the best I could, anyway, on a cooktop), then put it in a cold oven set @225. In 3 hours, it was 124 degrees. A remote probe is handy here! Tented for over an hour, and served beautifully med rare, 131 degrees. I think the higher heat cooking speeds up the carryover cooking but that's strictly my experience and opinion, I know lots of folks have very good luck cooking with the higher temps, right, Jean

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Standing rib roast temperature? by pjcooks (I did a 7 rib, 18#er...)
I always have, PJ - I start mine high temperature and reduce to finish off.

Trim and save fat for covering.
On each Prime Rib - Salt & pepper, sliced red onions (1 onion per roast), 4-5 sprigs of Rosemary
Cover with strips of fat

Bake in preheated 425° oven for 30 min.
Reduce heat to 350° and continue cooking for 2 hours - start temping after 1 1/2 hours.
Remove from oven when 125° is reached, tent and let sit for at least 20 min.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Standing rib roast temperature? by cjs (I always have, PJ - ...)
Found this while skimming through my BESTEST Christmas present, The Science of Good Cooking by Cook's Illustrated. So either fast or slow will get you to your desired end result, you just have to keep this in mind when it comes to pulling your roast and allowing to rest. From CI:

“There are 2 factors to keep in mind, the size of the roast and the heat level during cooking. A larger roast will absorb more heat than a thin steak and so there's more heat in the meat and a greater amount of carryover cooking that's possible. Likewise, meat cooked in a 400 degree oven absorbs more heat than meat cooked in a 200 degree oven, so carryover cooking is greater in a roast cooked in a hot oven.”

What a gem this book is, if you can only afford 1 good cooking book, I would reccomend this.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Standing rib roast temperature? by pjcooks (Found this while ski...)
Pj, I picked it up from the library just the other day, to decide if I want to buy it. Haven't had much time to look at it. I used their method for slow and low cooking at Christmas and it came out perfect!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Standing rib roast temperature? by esgunn (Pj, I picked it up ...)
With my convection oven, I have learned for roasts, turkey, and pizza to not use the convection setting. It gets done quicker. If needed I will add convection the last bit. Especially on pizza I like the crust a little crispy utter top cheese a little brown.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Standing rib roast temperature? by esgunn (With my convection o...)
Erin, my chef bought me this for Christmas. It's definately the best of CI in one book. Even if you don't need or use the recipes, it gives you the "why does it work?" information needed to apply to your own recipes. We develop most of our own recipes at work, so this invaluable to me.

I agree with you about the convection oven. I hate to admit it but I'm still flying by the seat of my pants with my ovens at work, start at low fan, turn to high, back down to low. I spend more time cooking at work than I do at home so I have to make the transition when I cook here. We've been looking at convection ovens for the next house. I don't know, I think that's too many transitions to remember!

What kind of oven do you have, and why did you choose that particular one?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Standing rib roast temperature? by pjcooks (Erin, my chef bought...)
" Even if you don't need or use the recipes, it gives you the "why does it work?" information needed to apply to your own recipes. We develop most of our own recipes at work, so this invaluable to me.
I think this type of information is invaluable to any cook, home or professional - I could have used it starting out, that's for sure.

" I hate to admit it but I'm still flying by the seat of my pants with my ovens at work,

My stoves/ovens in the hotel were the 1860s vintage so had no convection to learn on at work. I'm still flying by the seat of my pants at home with this oven, which I really do love.

I have the Sears Kenmore 6-burner gas/electric/convection stove that I absolutely love. If and when I talk Roy into selling the big house, I'll buy a stove to just put in and take this one with me. That's for sure!!

[Image: kenmore_zps0e931c02.jpg]
www.achefsjourney.com