Did You Know?
  Re: (...)
Did a search to the thread you all had going about tips, hints, etc. but couldn't find it.

I just looked at my baking powder can to see how old it is and saw something I've never noticed on the can before:

"SHAKE CAN BEFORE USING"

Ever seen that before?? Ever done that before?? I haven't
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Did You Know? by cjs (Did a search to the ...)
I never noticed it nor did I realized that cornstarch is the first ingredient in BP.
  Re: Re: Did You Know? by Trixxee (I never noticed it n...)
Interesting factoid!!

Who would have "thunk"
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Did You Know? by Roxanne 21 (Interesting factoid!...)
Knew about the cornstarch (since it prevents humidity from contacting the powdered acid so as not to trigger the reaction in your cupboard).

Had never noticed label instructions saying to shake the can of baking powder before using, but I have always shaken the can because the stuff can cake together a bit, sometimes, and it's easier to measure when it's loose and relatively free of lumps.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Did You Know? by cjs (Did a search to the ...)
Uh, never noticed that, never ever done that. I will look at my can. Hmmm...

Mine does NOT say that. It does have cornstarch but adds in parenthesis (maintains leavening) behind cornstarch.

Mine also expired in 2011
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Did You Know? by luvnit (Uh, never noticed th...)
I didn't know that! Mine says to shake, and that it expires next month. Baking soda also expires! I dumped mine out of the box into a jar but the date label came off . . . time to replace it, I'll use the old stuff to scrub out my coffee mugs.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Did You Know? by Harborwitch (I didn't know that! ...)
Never knew this. Will go check
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Did You Know? by mjkcooking (Never knew this. W...)
Never actually read the box, but I am an instictive stirrer/shaker, so I've always stirred baking powder before measuring. I always have to stop myself when I have a can of soda.

Before you throw away the powder and soda you can test it:

Baking powder is activated by a combination of heat and moisture. Test baking powder by mixing 1 teaspoon of baking powder with 1/3 cup hot water. If the baking powder is fresh, the mixture should produce lots of bubbles. Be sure to use warm or hot water; cold water will not work for this test.

Baking soda is meant to produce bubbles when mixed with an acidic ingredient. Check baking soda by dripping a few drops of vinegar or lemon juice onto a small amount (1/4 teaspoon) of baking soda. The baking soda should bubble vigorously. If you don't see a lot of bubbles, it's time to replace your baking soda. I always put not so fresh boxes in the fridge, does not take away 100% of the odors but I think it helps. CI recently tested different approaches to removing garlic and onion smells from a cutting board (July/August 2007) and found scrubbing with a paste of 1 tablespoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon water to be the most effective.
  Re: Re: Did You Know? by Cubangirl (Never actually read ...)
Good info Cubangirl.

Another use for baking soda - if my son's PE clothes come home pretty smelly, I put about 1/4 cup of soda into the washing machine along with the detergent. Works great.