T.G.I.F. Dinner, 12/28/12???
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today for everyone?

I made a huge meatloaf (mostly for traveling sandwiches) yesterday, so will have some of that and then leftovers of the Couscous dish from yesterday.

Whoa Nellie, was this one ever good!!! It's from W.W. Flex & Core book (never have understood exactly what that means ) and it is just spicy wonderful!! Drizzled a little Thai Swt. chili sauce over and

Aromatic Vegetable Couscous
W.W. Flex & Core book – serves 4 (made this 12/27/12)

¾ cup orange juice
½ cup water
Salt
1 cup couscous (they recommend whole wheat, but I didn’t have)
1 T. olive oil
8 oz. Zucchini, cut into ¼” slices
8 oz. yellow squash, cut into ¼” pieces
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tsp. curry powder
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. cayenne
15 ½ oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drain
14 ½ oz. can diced tomatoes

Bring orange juice, water and salt to a boil, add couscous and remove from heat, covered, for 5 min.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat and add the zucc, yellow squash, onion, garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, cayenne and salt. Cook, stirring frequently until veggies start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Serve over couscous.

I didn’t have the zucc or yellow squash, I had roasted butternut squash to use up and I added it along with the chickpeas and tomatoes .

We ate out of 'Chinette' (sp?) bowls to save dish dog, so didn't plate it up properly, but you get the idea. So good.
[Image: Dec27VegeCouscousSuper-2.jpg]

The flavors of this dish are just incredible.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 12/28/12??? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Still undecided but both the roman-style chicken with capers and parsley and the chicken fried steak with tomato gravy from the new issue both are calling my name today!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 12/28/12??? by Trixxee (Still undecided but ...)
Gonna go meet some friends for dinner
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 12/28/12??? by DFen911 (Gonna go meet some f...)
Jean that couscous looks really good. I have Israeli - do you think that would work?

I think tonight is going to be leftovers or a baked rigatoni - can't make up my mind.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 12/28/12??? by Harborwitch (Jean that couscous l...)
We're doing a repeat of Christmas Eve...meats and cheeses, Capital Crack Dip, crostini and crackers.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 12/28/12??? by Gourmet_Mom (We're doing a repeat...)
That picture might actually get me to give couscous another try Jean!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 12/28/12??? by Trixxee (That picture might a...)
I love couscous!! Why not Sharon - this 'stew' would go over most anything, I think.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 12/28/12??? by cjs (I love couscous!! Wh...)
That recipe sounds really different, Jean. Not sure if Ron is going to go for those flavors, but I sure would like to try it.

We're having some Honey-Baked turkey that was part of a package Ron got at work. They could select a honey-baked ham or turkey breast, or 1/2 of each and that is what he got. We had enough ham, so I froze little packages to use over the next few weeks for sandwiches, and did the same with the turkey breast.

So, tonight we'll have turkey sandwiches with a chopped salad on the side.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 12/28/12??? by Mare749 (That recipe sounds r...)
Trixxee, I have both of those recipes on my to do list, but the Cashew Chicken with ginger is what I decided on for tonight. I'll serve it on Jasmine Rice.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 12/28/12??? by losblanos1 (Trixxee, I have both...)
Meatloaf and leftover twice baked potatoes. This was supposed to be last nights dinner but I left Steve and the kids on their own and went to Les Miserables with some girl friends. It was great!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.