Yeast Q
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

I want to make that "Speedy No-Knead Bread" that's been posted (Sharon?), and it calls for "instant yeast". I this the same as Active Yeast?

And, is Bread Flour absolutely necessary? I just always thought you used regular flour for some reason.

Okay, can you see I'm wading in new waters?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Yeast Q by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]I wa...)
"Active dry yeast" is not the same as "instant yeast." "Active" (which is actually less alive and active than instant) must be proofed in warm liquid with a little sugar or honey before the mixture is added to your dry ingredients.

Instant yeast is added directly to the dry ingredients and then the liquids, etc. are added later.

The temperature of the liquid for proofing active yeast should be somewhere from 105F to 115F. Any higher can kill the yeast. Since instant yeast gets mixed into all that flour ahead of time, however, the liquids should be 120F to 130F (so they say - I'd never take it as high as 130F, but always use 120F to 125F).

When I was in the States, I had always used active dry yeast, so when that was not to be found here, I had to switch to instant and now I like it better. In fact, I saw one episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown was not only recommending instant yeast over active, but the package he showed was SAF Instant: the same brand I use here.

Bread flour is bread flour because it has a higher protein content than all-purpose flour (and way more than cake flour). That protein is gluten and it is the network of gluten molecules that provide the "fabric" against which the carbon dioxide released by the yeast can push in order for the dough to rise. Thus, bread flour will more likely produce better results, unless you are using a recipe that specifically calls for all-purpose flour (in which case, the bread flour could be too tough). I'm sure there's leeway to either side of the equation, though, if handled properly.

Edit: HERE is what Alton Brown said.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Yeast Q by labradors ("Active dry yeast" i...)
Thanks Labs, I kinda knew about the Bread Flour - from Alton Brown - but was definitely not sure about the Instant Yeast.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Yeast Q by BarbaraS (Thanks Labs, I kinda...)
SAF Instant is what I buy too Labs - but I usually treat it like normal. I keep it in the fridge or freezer. I always buy unbleached bread flour for bread. But Labs certainly gave all the details - I have nothing to add.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Yeast Q by Harborwitch (SAF Instant is what ...)
So is Rapidrise the same as Instant yeast?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Yeast Q by luvnit (So is Rapidrise the ...)
I've never tried rapid rise, but if Alton's explanation at the above video link is right, then it is NOT the same as instant.
  Re: Re: Yeast Q by labradors (I've never tried rap...)
Could somebody just give me a brand name or something. I can't watch the vieo Labs posted. I'm at work and doing my shopping after I leave this afternoon.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Yeast Q by BarbaraS (Could somebody just ...)
"SAF Instant" is the one shown in the video and is also the one I use (and the one that King Arthur Flour says is their top seller). Great stuff and very reliable. I keep the extra in the fridge (bringing what I need to room temperature before using it in a recipe) and have even used it with excellent results a year and a half past the "expiration" date.

If you can't find that, Fleischmann's and Red Star probably have their own.
  Re: Re: Yeast Q by labradors ("SAF Instant" is the...)
Well, you may want to take my suggestions with a grain of salt, since I'm not a baker, but...

I don't proof my Active dry yeast (I buy a jar of Fleischman and keep in freezer) unless I think my yeast is getting too old and I want to test it.

I also use all-purpose unbleached flour a lot of times when bread flour is called for with no problems.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Yeast Q by cjs (Well, you may want t...)
Just my two cents, I don't proof yeast either, I buy it in bulk and keep in fridge too.
Also, high glut flour, I find makes bread too soft and fluffy for bagels and artisan breads or pizza. You might try 1/2 -1/2 for most other recipes tho
Cis
Empress for Life