Les Mis - a Layman's Review
  Re: (...)
Labs, is there a better superlative to use for Les Mis than fantastic/overwhelming/2 box kleenex experience??????????

I'm not a critic and I don't have all the proper critique buzz terms - but, as a layman, because the whole pkg. of Les Mis is my favortie show (comes in above Chorus Line and Fiddler), I would love it any way! I thought Crowe was a little wooden 3/4 of the time, but he managed to pull me in during a couple of his songs.

I liked Hugh Jackman - didn't send me over the top, but thoroughly enjoyed his performance.

For me the two that stole the show were Samantha Barks as Eponine (the face, exquisite and the voice out of this world) and Eddie Redmayne as Marius - he has the cutest freckled face freshnes and a voice that is so moving.

Anne Hathaway, as little as we see of her character, Fantine, almost stole the show - what a voice and expressions she has.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Les Mis - a Layman's Review by cjs (Labs, is there a bet...)
So it's a good show? Good to know. Glad you had a good time, Jean.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Les Mis - a Layman's Review by Gourmet_Mom (So it's a good show?...)
Thanks Jean. Can't wait to see this!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Les Mis - a Layman's Review by Mare749 (Thanks Jean. Can't w...)
Cool! I know, when we I had seen the original in the theatre, I could not find superlatives that could do it justice, let alone enough superlatives to give it, but you never know how something like this will make it on the big screen.

Have never seen A Chorus Line or Fiddler on the Roof in the theatre, but I did see Cats and, as fantastic as that was (especially with my having been in an aisle seat in the second row upon discovering that the show was somewhat - shall we say... interactive), I have never found anything that could even come close to Les Misérables. Thus, even though Cats may have pulled me into the show literally physically, Les Mis will pull your entire soul into it (if not, you don't have one).

Also, even though it may not have been the musical and just another adaptation of the book, I really enjoyed the 1998 movie with Liam Neeson as Valjean and Geoffrey Rush as Javert.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Les Mis - a Layman's Review by labradors (Cool! I know, when ...)
I used to have a tape of the Victor Hugo version of the play, but lent it to someone..........

One other thing about the way the producer/director did the music,Labs - is they didn't add the singing later in a remote studio. they sang without orchestra while acting it out. So, made for so much more reality and feeling. You'll love it.

I've never seen Cats live, but do have the music.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Les Mis - a Layman's Review by cjs (I used to have a tap...)
Glad they sang as though it had been a real, stage production.

I wasn't kidding when I said I was pulled into cats. Certainly wasn't something I had expected. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?