Brown Butter Apple Tarte Tatin Cake with Pears
  Re: (...)
I have been going through my old paper issues of C@H before I give them away Since I know have the archive DVD. I saw this recipe in from 10/2006 #59 and it looks wonderful. I have 2 questions.

Has any one made and if so, is it as good as it looks? The second is I have about 9 large Bartlett pears I need to use. Do you think I could sub the pears for the apples?

I have also considered subbing pears in my favorite Apple Pie Bar Cookies, but think DH would like this better. I also planning to make Ina's Pear and Apple Crisp.

TIA
  Re: Brown Butter Apple Tarte Tatin Cake with Pears by Cubangirl (I have been going th...)
I haven't made it (it sure looks good!) and everyone knows I'm not a baker, but my only thought would be that it would work best if the pears were very firm???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Brown Butter Apple Tarte Tatin Cake with Pears by cjs (I haven't made it (i...)
Darn, I thought that I made that, this one is the one that I did make- Sunshine pear Betty from issue 79 (August 2009 page 27).

You shouldn't have any problems subbing pears for apples.
  Re: Re: Brown Butter Apple Tarte Tatin Cake with Pears by losblanos1 (Darn, I thought that...)
Thank you both. I ended up making my regular CI upside down apple cake but with just pears because it is super easy, requires no mixer. It was a comedy of errors, since not only were the pears way too ripe to slice evenly, I found I was out of sour cream after I started, then realized I had no Greek yogurt either. So I subbed Mascarpone cheese. It worked ok as far as I can tell. However, the pears were so ripe, that when I turned it over, the whole thing slid through the holes in the cooling rack. Thankfully it was not a criss-cross one. I had put a pie dish under it, so it slid into that. I put it in the fridge and you could actually cut a slice, but cake and topping were one. The pears did not go to waste and the mascarpone needed to be used as well. Pretty good with ice cream so I am calling it a success.

Lesson learned, if I ever have pears that ripe again, I'll just make pear sauce in the microwave. I will however, try the cake again with good pears as I think it would be great.