What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12??
  Re: Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? by cjs (That does sound good...)
I just had to share - this was a wonderful recipe from the New Food & Wine - I learned that I like "roasty" cauliflower - and that Farro is absolutely wonderful

[Image: IMG_7551_zps7de8b5d5.jpg]

This is farro cooked like rissotto with scallions, pan roast cauliflower, and eggs (the original only used the soft cooked egg yolk - I'm not throwing egg whites out). It is a wonderful dish.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? by Harborwitch (I just had to share ...)
Roasting is so much better than how cauliflower is usually treated.

Don't forget the roasted cauliflower from Theresa's birthday dinner and also Jean's Cauliflower-Crust Pizza!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? by labradors (Roasting is so much ...)
I know! I have some raw left so I'll have to play some more. I have to say the farro was incredible too. Toothy and very rich.
  Re: Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? by Harborwitch (I know! I have some ...)
Wow, that looks really good and rich, Sharon! Of course, we love anything with a soft-cooked egg on it.

Never tried farro, but have seen it in the stores. Your dish makes it look tasty.

Forgot to mention dinner. After Ron fixed the plumbing problem, I put together a pot of chili for dinner. After that, we did a "24" marathon. (watching season 7) Wow!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? by Mare749 (Wow, that looks real...)
We haven't watched that for a long time.

Looks really good, Sharon. I did love the cauliflower pizza crust also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? by cjs (We haven't watched t...)
I've never tried it either. Now that we have some more upscale grocery stores in the city, I'm hoping to have access to a wider variety of ingredients!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? by Gourmet_Mom (I've never tried it ...)
We found the farro at Costco.

Recipe:

5 TBS unsalted butter
4 scallions - thinly sliced white & tender green parts
8 oz dry farro (1 cup + 2 TBS)
salt & freshly ground pepper
1 Qt vegetable stock (had to use chicken)
2 TBS EVOO
3 cups 1" cauliflower florets
1 TBS sherry wine vinegar

In a large saucepan saute the scallions in 3TBS butter for about 2 minutes. Add farro, season with salt & pepper, saute 1 minute stirring. Add 1/2 c. of stock and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until absorbed. Continue adding stock 1/2 c. at a time, stirring frequently until absorbed before adding more. The farro is done when al dente (30 to 40 minutes).
In a medium skillet heat the olive oil, add the cauliflower, season with salt & pepper and cook over high heat until tender and browned in spots (medium high heat worked better) about 5 minutes. Add to farro along with the additional 2 TBS butter and the vinegar. Check seasoning and adjust.

Dish into bowls and top with softly cooked eggs (basted, poached or soft boiled (with whites removed?). I thought it might need a sprinkle of parm - but nope.
  Re: Re: What's for Saturday's Dinner, 12/22/12?? by Harborwitch (We found the farro a...)
Looks fantastic, Sharon!