What's for Tuesday Dinner, 12/18/12???
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today?

As much as I want to get back to Market Broiler to buy some fish, we'll be good and have the leftover crockpot chicken and noodles.

By the way, watched the latest (I think) episode of Next Iron Chef and saw something that I have to play with. Marcel (the little arrogant b*stard) coated bacon strips with egg, flour/milk batter and fried it. Then used for a garnish on a green salad. It looked and sounded so tasty!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Tuesday Dinner, 12/18/12??? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
That does sound like it would be really tasty, but then anything with bacon is better.

Today I am doing cookie dough prep. On the list so far are nut horns, snowballs, raspberry thumbprints, peanut blossoms, and cut-out sugar cookies. Since I will have little helpers here after school for the next three days, it will be a breeze to finish these off.

So, for dinner... Ron and I prepped an 8 lb. piece of pork shoulder last night, stuffed it with slivers of garlic all over, then put a nice rub on it. (Steve Raichlen recipe with my own additions) I put that in a 225 oven last night at 11:00 and just pulled it out at 9 a.m.

It is cooling a bit and will get broken up shortly, then packaged for future meals, except for tonight, of course! We will have coleslaw and probably some french fries with it.

Ron gave me a tip this morning that he remembered from a bbq cooking show. The pork shoulder is done when the bone slides right out. (I temped it first )
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Tuesday Dinner, 12/18/12??? by Mare749 (That does sound like...)
We are grilling tonight (in the rain) - Ancho Fired steak with tomato jam from the Smart Carbs book. Definitely some sauteed/steamed broccoli and either a baked potato or boxed au gratin potatoes (gasp!).
  Re: Re: What's for Tuesday Dinner, 12/18/12??? by Trixxee (We are grilling toni...)
Don't say that word, Trixxee!!!!!!!!! We're here between storms north and south of us, I guess. Little overcast, but no rain!! I don't think I've made that steak, but it sounds good.

You're going to be exhausted tonight, Maryann! But, your house will sure smell good 'tween the cookies and the pork.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Tuesday Dinner, 12/18/12??? by cjs (Don't say that word,...)
I just posted your forecast on your FB page. I think the rain is already stopping here. Just wet enough to mess with the morning commute (as I sit here with my nice cup of coffee). Didn't even have to commute the 1.3 miles to school as Michael is off this week.

As far as the recipe goes, I just remembered that the last time we were in Hawaii I had a burger with tomato marmalade on it and it was fantastic. Hoping for the same here.
  Re: Re: What's for Tuesday Dinner, 12/18/12??? by Trixxee (I just posted your f...)
Thanks Trixxee - saw it and smiled.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Tuesday Dinner, 12/18/12??? by Trixxee (I just posted your f...)
I'm spending time with the girl I mento today, so it's fortunate I made the clam chowder last night....we will be having that again tonight. It is oh so good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Tuesday Dinner, 12/18/12??? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm spending time wi...)
I can't wait for Friday! I am so ready for the holiday break!! One thing I really want to try is bacon jam. I've been reading about it for months, and plan to finally get around to making it over the break.

We're having Mu Shu Pork tonight. I made the pancakes last night, so it should go together pretty quickly.
  Re: Re: What's for Tuesday Dinner, 12/18/12??? by karyn (I can't wait for Fri...)
Daphne, is the clam chowder a Cuisine recipe?
Burgers & Fries tonight. *Yawn*

I'm losing my cooking mojo.
  Re: Re: What's for Tuesday Dinner, 12/18/12??? by losblanos1 (Daphne, is the clam ...)
I felt like that a couple of weeks ago Blane. It will pass. I think because it gets dark so early my enthusiasm is zapped. But the days will start getting longer on Friday! LOL.