Chicken Wellington Review for Barbara
  Re: (...)
Barbara, I'll post the recipe I used for the Chicken Wellingtons, but with a caveat. Aside: Roy called this the best of the leftover dishes I've made!! I can't wrap my mind around calling a Wellington a 'leftover'

Anyway, I had cooked the chicken thighs with a very flavorful sauce which turned into the most delicious 'gravy' which I served with the Wellingtons. And, the sauce really made the dish. So I would suggest anyone make both dishes - the flavors were outstanding.

[Image: ChixWellington3.jpg]

Honey Mustard Chicken – from Simply Recipes

1/4 cup smooth Dijon mustard -- (1/4 to 1/3)
1/4 cup honey -- (1/4 to 1/3)
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 pounds chicken thighs (or legs) -- (2 to 3)
Salt
2 sprigs rosemary (or a generous sprinkling of dried rosemary)
Freshly ground black pepper

NOTES : You just mix honey, Dijon mustard, and olive oil together and pour it over chicken thighs in a casserole dish and bake until done. The chicken produces its own gravy with the honey and mustard, and the skin on the top gets crispy brown. We have lots of rosemary in the garden; adding a sprig or two takes the dish up a notch. The chicken is great served with rice to soak up the honey mustard gravy.
Jean’s note: I had 3 chicken thighs so I used 1/2 the sauce ingredients.

Then used some of the chicken and the sauce for the Wellingtons. And again I only made two, so halved this recipe also -

Easy Chicken Wellington

Start with leftover cooked chicken or pick up a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the market and add mushrooms, sweet onions, cream cheese, and herbs. Frozen puff pastry wraps it all up for an eye-pleasing and tasty presentation.

1 sheet (half of a 17-1/4-ounce package) frozen puff pastry sheet
2 Tbs butter
1/2 cup diced sweet onions
4 oz coarse-chopped mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, pressed
Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves, crushed
1/2 tsp rubbed sage (or 1/4 teaspoon ground sage)
2 cups roughly torn chunks of cooked rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken breasts, chilled
1 large egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water for an egg wash

1. Let puff pastry thaw while you make the filling. Preheat oven to 400 F.

2. Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add sweet onions, mushrooms, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Saute until sweet onions are translucent and the mushroom liquid has evaporated. Stir in parsley and set aside to cool to room temperature.

3. Mix cream cheese, Dijon mustard, thyme, and sage until combined. Set aside.

4. Roll out thawed puff pastry on a lightly floured surface into a 14-inch square. (Rolling between two sheets of plastic wrap makes easy work of this task.) Cut the square into 4 equal 7-inch squares. (I had a little difficulty with rolling the pastry out this thin, taking it to a 14" square made it almost paper thin, so made them a tad smaller)

5. To assemble, divide cream cheese mixture equally amongst the squares, then top with mushroom mixture, and chilled chicken chunks or strips. Brush edges of the puff pastry squares with egg wash. Bring corners of the pastry square to the center, sealing all edges to contain the filling. Place seam-side down on an ungreased baking sheet and brush with egg wash.

6. Bake chicken Wellington bundles for 25 minutes until golden brown. Serve with steamed broccoli.

7. Note: Do not use raw chicken for this recipe. There will be insufficient time to thoroughly cook the chicken. Be sure to use chilled cooked chicken.

Yield: 4 servings
Author: By Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, About.com Guide, 12/6/12

[Image: CjhixWellingtonMorroBayDec8.jpg]

after napping the plate with the sauce for the picture and then tasting it - we really poured on the gravy. It was such a nice combination!

I'll do both of these again for sure.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chicken Wellington Review for Barbara by cjs ( Barbara, I'll post...)
Interesting take on "Wellington" ---YUMMM!!! Copied and printed to go into volume 2 of "to do recipes"
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Thank you Jean! I'll have to do it with breasts since Hubby is not too fond of thighs. Sigh. I just give up sometimes.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
Oh Jean! That looks so good. Do you use boneless thighs?

I think this must go on the menu very soon. It looks lovely and would make a nice entree.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chicken Wellington Review for Barbara by Harborwitch (Oh Jean! That looks...)
For the first cooking of the chicken, Sharon - I used bone-in thighs and cut the meat off the bone for the Wellingtons. It calls for diced up already cooked meat.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Wellington Review for Barbara by cjs (For the first cookin...)
At what temperature?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Chicken Wellington Review for Barbara by BarbaraS (At what temperature?...)
Oh, about 350° - uncovered. And, be sure to save some of the gravy for the Wellingtons. It is so good with rice, noodles, etc.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Wellington Review for Barbara by cjs (Oh, about 350° - unc...)
Jean, I have made a similar first recipe, but it had maple syrup and a litltle vinegar in it I think. We NEVER have leftover sauce...or chicken for that matter. I usually use boneless thighs just because this is a last minute go to recipe for me. I will keep the Wellington recipe. I can make extra next time.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chicken Wellington Review for Barbara by esgunn (Jean, I have made a...)
Welingtons are good and fun to serve, also, Erin. I think over the years I've run across and just because I had the ingredients, I've made similar sauces also - so simple and so tasty.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Wellington Review for Barbara by cjs (Welingtons are good ...)
Okay, figured out dinner! That didn't take long...LOL! I'll make a full recipe so I'll have lunch tomorrow. Then I'll freeze the leftovers to play with next weekend. I don't think I want to play with puff pastry on a school night of a week that's sure to be CRAZY! Friday is our last day before the holiday. We get two and a half weeks this year! Yea me!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.