Boston Butt vs Pork Thingy Wrapped In String Web?
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

We hit BJ's last Saturday. I hate shopping on the weekends, all the "Pros" come out with "sleds" of 100+ items, but all the checkout aisles were open and moving.

Anywho, they had Boston Butt cuts on sale for $1.39 per. I've signed up for my new work site's Holiday Party with Pulled Pork and have always bought the pork shoulder thing wrapped up in the string web for pulled pork. I do it in the slow cooker smothered in onions, some garlic, and BBQ sauce. It's always been a hit.

But now that I've actually seen a Boston Butt cut, has anyone done pulled pork between the two and made a preference? Is there really a difference? I would really like to make a memorable dish.

Got the cole slaw and buns lined up.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Boston Butt vs Pork Thingy Wrapped In String Web? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]We h...)
Not familiar with the string kind, but Boston Butt is part of the pork shoulder and does really well in any slow cooked or braised dish. Despite being called the Butt, it is the upper part of the shoulder as opposed to the lower (the picnic).
  Re: Re: Boston Butt vs Pork Thingy Wrapped In String Web? by Cubangirl (Not familiar with th...)
Barbara, we ALWAYS make BBQ using Boston Butt. I've never tried it with the Pork Sirloin? That I think you're referring to with the "net bag" you're talking about.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Boston Butt vs Pork Thingy Wrapped In String Web? by Gourmet_Mom (Barbara, we ALWAYS m...)
I, too, always use the butt for pulled meat.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Boston Butt vs Pork Thingy Wrapped In String Web? by cjs (I, too, always use t...)
Okay, I'm going to swing by after work and pick one up. Thanks all!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Boston Butt vs Pork Thingy Wrapped In String Web? by BarbaraS (Okay, I'm going to s...)
I guess I'm the odd one out. We use whichever cut is cheaper, both work fine for me.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Boston Butt vs Pork Thingy Wrapped In String Web? by Lorraine (I guess I'm the odd ...)
Thanks for the responses everyone! I picked up a 9-lber for $11. I've never seen this cut before. I think I was buying the boneless upper shoulder that comes packaged (by Hatfield, a local biz) in a webbed string thing to hold it all together.

This is one huge piece of pork!

Barbara