Butterscotch Pie--issue 84
  Re: (...)
Anybody ever made this pie?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Butterscotch Pie--issue 84 by Old Bay (Anybody ever made th...)
No, not yet, but soon!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Butterscotch Pie--issue 84 by Mare749 (No, not yet, but soo...)
Me either. Have you?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butterscotch Pie--issue 84 by cjs (Me either. Have you?...)
Jane made two of these for a party--the crust is delicious (tasting a spare piece), but a bit*h to make--really labor intensive--filling is very good--we will not do again.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Butterscotch Pie--issue 84 by Old Bay (Jane made two of the...)
Do you want my butterscotch pie recipe? Actually it is my MIL's. It is, and has been for years, my husband's favorite dessert. It was his birthday pie for many years.

There is not a man in my neighborhood that doesn't love this pie!

Butterscotch Cream Pie

9” Graham Cracker Crust (below)
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 t. salt
1 cup water
1 2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1-2 cups heavy whipping cream for topping (sugar and vanilla)

Prepare Graham Cracker Crust recipe below. Set aside. Mix brown sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Gradually stir in water and milk. Add butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually stir at least half of hot mixture into egg yolks. Then blend into hot mixture in saucepan. Boil 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Blend in vanilla. Pour immediately into baked pie shell. Chill pie thoroughly and cover top with whipped cream.

Graham Cracker Crust

1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (18 crackers)
3 T. sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted

Mix cracker crumbs and sugar in bowl. Add butter and mix. Press mixture firmly and evenly into bottom and sides of 9” pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 350. Cool.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Butterscotch Pie--issue 84 by luvnit (Do you want my butte...)
And I can recommend Laura's recipe! We loved it, but then we like anything with butterscotch or caramel flavors.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Butterscotch Pie--issue 84 by Mare749 (And I can recommend ...)
Thanks Maryann! We are partial to butterscotch, carmel, and toffee flavors too. Love it!

A few months ago my MIL made this recipe and accidentally bought cinnamon-sugar graham crackers to make the crust. Wow, the hint of cinnamon in the crust was really, really good. The result of this accident was wonderful.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Butterscotch Pie--issue 84 by luvnit (Thanks Maryann! We a...)
Don't think I've ever made a butterscotch pie.... sounds good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com