Well, I Guess I'm Not Retiring, Yet
  Re: (...)
I said after the last 'do' that it would probably be my last, but now I've committed to another winery do...geez.

The area wineries are having a Passport weekend Nov. 10 & 11th and will be serving fall type food. Appie will be smoked salmon bruschetta, entree a stroganoff and dessert, she asked for an apple crisp.

So, I committed to the apple crisp. Made one today that was just perfect and after tasting it with the Riesling and the Chardonnay, it passed with flying colors!!

500 to 575 pieces. Yee God's so, that's a lotta bakin' - but it's a real simple crisp with a light sprinkling of toasted pecans and a white cheddar (Denise & Sharon tasted it while they were here)between the crips and the topping. Really a nice flavor.

So, one more time I'll be working my a$$ off and don't know how many more times I can do this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Well, I Guess I'm Not Retiring, Yet by cjs (I said after the las...)
That is a lot of baking, Jean. Obviously, you must be using disposable pans. Have you figured out how many pounds of ingredients you need to do this? How far ahead can you prep?
Just thinking about this makes my head spin!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Well, I Guess I'm Not Retiring, Yet by Mare749 (That is a lot of bak...)
WOW! That's a lot of apple crisp! Good luck, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Well, I Guess I'm Not Retiring, Yet by Gourmet_Mom (WOW! That's a lot o...)
That sounds totally exhausting, and like sooo much fun!! Good for you , Jean!!!!
  Re: Re: Well, I Guess I'm Not Retiring, Yet by karyn (That sounds totally ...)
I know you're going to have a great time!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Well, I Guess I'm Not Retiring, Yet by cjs (I said after the las...)
Oh that cheddar was so good! That's a lot of apple crisp!

. . . and I'm wondering about finger foods for 50 (gawd I'm a wussse!)
Jean you are so incredibly organized you'll be fine!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Well, I Guess I'm Not Retiring, Yet by Harborwitch (Oh that cheddar was ...)
Yea, I'll make it thru, but I'm sure going to be exhausted next Sunday night!!

Maryann, I still have all my hotel pans, so will use those and then transfer to sheet pans for storing. I'll start my lists today and so far, I'm looking at about 90 lbs. of Granny Smiths. I'll bake them Thurs & Fri.

Tuesday, I'll shop and Wednesday I'll measure out (my dining room table top) the dry ingredients for all 9 batches so they will be ready. It's amazing the time it takes to get that together and so easy when you do all at onnce.

I'll be o.k. and the house will sure smell good!!! By the way, it's an excellent dessert with an off-dry Riesling. I'll post the 'family' size recipe later this week. it is tasty.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Well, I Guess I'm Not Retiring, Yet by cjs (Yea, I'll make it th...)
The Baking/Pastry Queen works again!!! I love making large quantities of one dish, you can get very organized, which it sure sounds like you are!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Well, I Guess I'm Not Retiring, Yet by Lorraine (The Baking/Pastry Qu...)
I thought of you and Gill yesterday and some of the winery 'dos' - the crisp is just wonderful with the Riesling. I'll send you the 'big' recipe - there is a thin layer of toasted pecans and shredded Golden Glen (local dairy - but, maybe someone else makes this also) River Cheddar a double cream sharp white cheddar between the apples and the topping. The cheese just kind of travels down and around the apples and so subtle. Yummy!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Well, I Guess I'm Not Retiring, Yet by cjs (I thought of you and...)
That cheddar was so amazing. That crisp will be to die for!

If Bob Doesn't have to work all day I think I might have to have him help me find the apple trees. I'm thinking about a Jalapeno Pepperjack apple pie. Haven't made it in years - the topping is like a crisp with grated pepperjack.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!