Thanksgiving 2012 - Ideas, Plans, Menus, etc.
  Re: (...)
hmmmmm, haven't thought about it yet - hopefully we'll get some new ideas...don't think we'll be with family.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thanksgiving 2012 - Ideas, Plans, Menus, etc. by cjs (hmmmmm, haven't thou...)
We're having the family over for an early Thanksgiving this Saturday, because we'll be on vacation during the actual Thanksgiving.

Our dinner will be traditional turkey with all the trimmings.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving 2012 - Ideas, Plans, Menus, etc. by losblanos1 (We're having the fam...)
"Our dinner will be traditional turkey with all the trimmings" ... which means what?? (besides damned asparagus...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving 2012 - Ideas, Plans, Menus, etc. by cjs ("Our dinner will be ...)
Lol! No asparagus on the menu.

The sides will be mashed potatoes with turkey gravy, stuffing (Stovetop), candied yams, cranberry sauce, dinner rolls, string bean casserole and Broccoli (Asparagus is $3.99lb and we're feeding a small army).
I'm still trying to figure out a dessert.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving 2012 - Ideas, Plans, Menus, etc. by losblanos1 (Lol! No asparagus on...)
Ron and I are hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year for family and extended family, depending on RSVP's. I still can't believe it myself after the way "extended family" treated me a few years ago, but since it is a day to spend with family and give thanks, have decided to be forgiving and offer the invitation one more time. I made it clear that I need/expect an answer by the 20th.

Our dinner will be almost identical to Blane's except that I will make real stuffing for the turkey and my MIL always makes the pumpkin pies because she has that down to a science. I was going to make my mom's orange-cranberry relish, but am considering making a cranberry salad that Vicci (Foodfiend) posted a few years ago that sounds really good.

Gram's Holiday Salad

2 cups water
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 cups fresh cranberries
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin(envelope)
1 cup cold water
1 cup chopped nuts -- pecans, walnuts, or mix
1 cup chopped celery
2 medium Granny Smith apples -- chopped
2 medium oranges -- peeled, sectioned, and chopped

1. Boil 2 cups water and sugar for 5 minutes.

2. Add cranberries and boil for an additional 5 minutes

3. Mix gelatin and 1 cup cold water in a small bowl. Add to cranberry mixture and stir until completely dissolved.

4. Chill until soft (will take about 1-1/2 to 2 hours), then fold in remaining ingredients. Transfer to a serving bowl, if desired.

5. Cover tightly and chill overnight.

Servings: 10

Source
Author: Myrtle Zimmerman (Vicci's grandmom)
Source: Vicci (C@H forum)
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving 2012 - Ideas, Plans, Menus, etc. by Mare749 (Ron and I are hostin...)
I will do the traditional as well but no green bean casserole. Peter loves sweet potatoes with marshmallows (he was a deprived child ) Obviously, Thanksgiving is not celebrated here but we always love to have a turkey dinner. I will invite some of our young guy friends. Dessert---apple and pumpkin pies.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving 2012 - Ideas, Plans, Menus, etc. by Roxanne 21 (I will do the tradit...)
Seems everyone is going traditional this year, so far.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving 2012 - Ideas, Plans, Menus, etc. by cjs (Seems everyone is go...)
Things are up in the air here, but here's a great sauce for Apple Spice Cakes or Pumpkin Pie. He wanted a Bourbon Whipped Cream for the cake, but didn't want me to add the pure bourbon to the cream. So, he made a thick simple syrup, add the bourbon, cooked it a bit, and chilled it. I used it to sweeten the whipped cream, and it fabulous. My Dulce de Leche was a bit too thick, so I thinned it with heavy cream, put it in a sweeaze (sp?) bottle, and used it to top the cakes. It was great.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving 2012 - Ideas, Plans, Menus, etc. by losblanos1 (We're having the fam...)
Quote:

We're having the family over for an early Thanksgiving this Saturday, because we'll be on vacation during the actual Thanksgiving.

Mehico? (That's me speaking with a Spanish accent).

I'm sure we'll do mostly traditional. I did see a recipe on Noble Pig yesterday for a mushroom and leek bread pudding that looked fantastic and might take the place of stuffing.
  Re: Re: Thanksgiving 2012 - Ideas, Plans, Menus, etc. by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
You are correcto Trixxee , Puerto Vallarta for twelve nights. This picture is from the website of one of our favorite restaurants, Vista Grill.

Back on topic:
The kids wanted to be involved with Thanksgiving dinner and are bringing the side dishes. How cool is that? Now I won't be running around like a chicken, or in this case, a turkey, with it's head cut off.

[Image: VistaGrill.jpg]