What's for Sunday Dinner, 11/4/12?
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu for today??

It's a toss up between leftover B'day dinner and I have 2 pizza doughs 'aging' in the fridge. Maybe b'day for him, pizza for me.

Another birthday today - granddaughter Karli.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 11/4/12? by cjs (What's on the menu f...)
Well, I was going to make a recipe from the new issue - it was the game hens with an herb butter sauce (I think that's what it was) though I was going to use bone in chicken breasts. But somehow my issue has disappeared into thin air. I mean GONE! I'm beginning to think somehow it got scooped up with some newspapers and got tossed. I wonder if I could get C@H to send me a replacement copy? I'd be glad to pay for it. Darn it all.

So now I found what I think is a similar recipe in the Celebrate the Rain book. You put fresh herbs under the skin and for this sauce it seems to be like a brown butter lemon sauce. Sauteed spinach and either a baked potato or mashed potatoes as the sides.
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 11/4/12? by Trixxee (Well, I was going to...)
Hi everyone -

just got back from our trip to Iowa and my brother Celebration of Life

We had a wonderful time - ate lots of great food -

Now to return to our everyday eating and to get ready for Thaanksgiving - we are hosting this year. - Guess I had better get out the cook books. !

Good to be back and to see what you are all doing.

Mary
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 11/4/12? by mjkcooking (Hi everyone - [br][...)
Welcome back Marye - maybe it's time to do another sticky.... with Thanksgiving ideas????? What does everyone think?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 11/4/12? by cjs (Welcome back Marye -...)
Welcome back Marye!

That would be a good idea Jean. I'm going to be cooking a small dinner for 3 - so I'll be looking for some new ideas.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 11/4/12? by cjs (Welcome back Marye -...)
A sticky with Thanksgiving ideas is a good idea ,Jean
We are having our favorite go to comfort dish Eggplant Rollatini with Fettuccine.
Welcome home Marye
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 11/4/12? by farnfam (A sticky with Thanks...)
Trixxee, here is the recipe for future reference. It sounds really good.

Roasted Game Hens with herb butter sauce

2 18 oz. Cornish game hens (2 to 4 hens), thawed
1 T. olive oil
salt and pepper
1 T. minced garlic
½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
3 T. unsalted butter, sliced
1 T. minced fresh parsley
1 T. minced fresh thyme
1 T. minced fresh tarragon

1. Preheat oven to 450° with racks in middle and bottom thirds and a baking sheet inside.

2. Split hens in half by removing the backbone with kitchen shears; discard backbone. Open hens like a book; cut the breast plate in half with a chef's knife. Dry hens with paper towels; season with salt and pepper.

3. Sear hens, skin side down, in 1 T. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until golden, 4 minutes. Flip hens; sear 2 minutes more. transfer hens to preheated baking sheet, skin side up. Roast hens on middle rack, uncovered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 170°, 15-18 minutes.

4. For the sauce, sauté garlic in the same skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth to skillet and simmer until reduced by half. Swirl butter into sauce, one tablespoon at a time. Off heat, add parsley, thyme, and tarragon; season with salt and pepper. Serve sauce over hens.

Servings: 4

Source: Cuisine at Home magazine, Issue #96
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 11/4/12? by Mare749 (Trixxee, here is the...)
Welcome home, Marye! Nice to "see" you!

I'm thinking of making a taco salad in tortilla shells made from sun-dried tomato wraps.
Maryann

Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 11/4/12? by Mare749 (Welcome home, Marye!...)
Maryann - you are a doll! Thank you!
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 11/4/12? by Trixxee (Maryann - you are a ...)
Glad to help, Trixxee.
Maryann