What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/21/12??
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu today?

We're going to have baked eggs in hash, made with smoked mock tenderloin and l/o fried tomatoes and, of course sparkling!!

There's a mushroom show in town, so we're going to check it out and if we can buy some of the mushrooms, we'll probably have a mushroom ragout later!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/21/12?? by cjs (What's on the menu t...)
Hmmmmmmm. Jean and Roy have been the most wonderful hosts!

I'm going to wander upstairs and find coffee . . .
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/21/12?? by Harborwitch (Hmmmmmmm. Jean and ...)
Mushrooms---that inspired me to do a mushroom omelet and a salad, of course.

You guys must have had the bestest time ever
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/21/12?? by Roxanne 21 (Mushrooms---that ins...)
We're having Lorraine's Beef Short Ribs with polenta and butter beans.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/21/12?? by Gourmet_Mom (We're having Lorrain...)
I think we are also having short ribs! Tony bought some yesterday at Costco. He's cooking and I'm not sure what he's going to do with them but he might try to recreate a dish had at a restaurant that involved a tangy blueberry sauce.

Right now I'm getting all kinds of ideas for future dinners by going through a cookbook I forgot I had - Celebrate the Rain.

Some examples of what I want to make:
Gingered chicken salad with hoisin vinaigrette
Lemon Garlic shrimp with greens (with serrano ham and manchego cheese)
Herbed proscuitto and gruyere croque monsieurs (sort of like a monte cristo)
Sauteed Tortellini with Proscuitto and Greens
Citrus Saffron Pasta with asparagus and peas (I have made this before)
Grilled chicken with wild mushroom salsa
Sun-dried tomato capered chicken
Chicken w/apple, cranberries and bacon
Hazelnut Chicken Breasts with Cranberry Cherry Sauce
Five Star Asian Ribs
Margaritaville Steak
Beef Tenderloin with Shitake Cream Sauce (this looks particularly outstanding)
Corn cakes topped with bacon and goat cheese

Needless to say, lots of good stuff here!
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/21/12?? by Trixxee (I think we are also ...)
Trixxee, Bill Miller and I also have this book!!! It is great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/21/12?? by cjs (Trixxee, Bill Miller...)
Today is catering leftovers! We have brisket in a mushroom/merlot sauce, rotisserie style chicken (rubbed with equal parts Old Bay and curry powder, it is fabulous!), garlic mashed potatoes, two gallon bags of cut veggies (from the veg and dip tray), penne and a fresh tomato sauce, and lots of great cheese. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it all. I think some of the veg will become a soup.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/21/12?? by cjs (Trixxee, Bill Miller...)
Quote:

Trixxee, Bill Miller and I also have this book!!! It is great.

Do you recall if you've made any of the recipes I listed? To me, one sounds better than the next!
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/21/12?? by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Umm, what is a mushroom show and who is it open to - restaurant owners, the general public? And obviously they sell the mushrooms, but who puts it on? Do you have that many local producers?

I ran through the grocery store on the way home Friday and as I was passing the produce section I happened to notice 8 oz. containers of button mushrooms labeled on the front of the case "8 oz. mushrooms, 2 for 1.00" Well, I emptied the case. Until I got to the checkout and they ran through at $1.00 a piece. When I pointed out what they were labeled, the manager on duty checked and informed me they were 10 for $10. I walked him back over to the case and showed him the sign (and empty case) and they gave it to me for that price.

Now I am busy sauteeing them and freezing cookie trays full of mushrooms - all 17 boxes that I bought!
  Re: Re: What's for Sunday Dinner, 10/21/12?? by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Trixxee, those recipes look so delicious that I just ordered that cookbook and the "Simply Classic" cookbook. I can't wait to try some of those recipes. Thanks for the heads up.

Tonight's dinner is from 2002- Meatballs in fresh tomato sauce with spaghetti and garlic bread. I've got a pork belly in the oven right now for tomorrows dinner, it smells so delicious.