Pasta Carbonara with Pork Belly & Peas
  Re: (...)
Please, if anyone loves Pasta Carbonara, think about making this recipe. It takes 4 or 5 days, but really no hands on time at all. This is probably the best dish I have made...ever!

[Image: PastaCarbonaraplated.jpg]

It isn't an 'in your face' flavored dish, it is just the most subtle flavored wonder and I don't even care for Pasta carbonara, have only made it once or twice before and never order it at a restaurant. But, this one made me a believer.

Pasta Carbonara with Pork Belly and Fresh Peas

Day one:
1 lb fresh pork belly
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed

Rub coarse salt and coriander into the pork belly. Cover and chill at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.

Day two:
1 small onion, quartered
1 small carrot, peeled & quartered
1/2 celery stalk, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, peeled & smashed
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. whole black peppercorns
2 T. (or more) dry white wine (Noilly Pratt)
1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth

Preheat oven to 275°F. Place pork belly in a large ovenproof saucepan/skillet. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns to the pan over and around the pork. Pour wine and chicken stock overall. Bring to a boil, cover and transfer to the oven. Cook until pork is very tender when pierced with a fork, turning every 30 minutes, about 2 hours 15 minutes. Cool slightly, then cover and chill at least 1 day and up to 2 days. (I let it rest 2 days)

Day 3 (or 4):
2 T. olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine (Noilly Pratt)

Discard any solidified fat on surface of pork belly mixture. Remove pork from cooking liquid, scraping any gelatinous mixture back into saucepan. Rewarm mixture in saucepan just until melted. Strain liquid into measuring cup. Add white wine if necessary to measure 1/2 cup. Cut rind and all but 1/4-inch layer of fat from pork belly. Slice pork crosswise into 1/2-inch slices, then cut slices crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick strips.

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork belly and cook until browned on all sides, stirring often, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add pork cooking liquid and 1/4 cup wine. Bring to boil, then cover and keep warm. (NOTE: At this point, because there are only two of us, I split the pork and jus and only used half to make 1/2 a recipe of the carbonara. I would freeze the other half to make another dinner at a later time. ) (2nd NOTE: 1/2 a recipe made a good 3 servings!)

To finish Spaghetti Carbonara:

1 lb. spaghetti
1 1/2 cups fresh shelled peas or 1 1/2 cups frozen petite peas, thawed
2 large eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

Cook spaghetti in large pot of boiling salted water until almost tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Add peas; cook 1 minute longer. Meanwhile, whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add half (1/4 cup) Parmesan cheese, the Pecorino Romano cheese and parsley; set aside.

Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Whisk 1/4 cup hot cooking liquid into egg mixture. Add pasta; toss to coat. Add mixture to skillet with pork and toss, adding more cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls if dry.

Season generously with black pepper. Divide among bowls and serve, passing remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese alongside. Bon Appetit, 4/2007 Makes 4 to 6 servings

As you can see this would be a great weeknight dinner after the 2 day resting period for the pork belly.

P.S. one more thing - Roy is not a fan of long pasta (he makes such a mess in his beard and mustache... ) so I used Camepanelle and it works great!

One more incentive... ready to put in your itty bitty mouth
[Image: PastaCarbonaraforkwonderful.jpg]

-------------

Blane, I'm sure it would be good even with asparagus...

Bill, if you get started, you could have this ready for Jane when she gets home.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pasta Carbonara with Pork Belly & Peas by cjs (Please, if anyone lo...)
I am licking the screen.

Did you get the pork bellies near PA?
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pasta Carbonara with Pork Belly & Peas by Harborwitch (I am licking the scr...)
Our QFC in Sequim orders them for me. I ordered two and they sent (AND we paid for ) three!!! Oh well, they won't go to waste. (But he did give me a good price per lb. 'cause they screwed up the order!)

an aside: this kitchen smells so good - I've got another slab going - Braised Pork Belly with Caramel-Miso Glaze - it has to braise for 6 hours and it has 1 1/2 hours to go.

I'm thinking I'm going to have the neatest little pkgs. in the trailer freezer when we take off for the long trip in November.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pasta Carbonara with Pork Belly & Peas by cjs (Our QFC in Sequim or...)
Lol! I think your recipe is perfect as is. It looks delicious! I'll save my asparagus for my usual, predictable side dish.
Looks wonderful Jean--I will try this!!

Edited to say--I see the different recipe for pork belly!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Pasta Carbonara with Pork Belly & Peas by Old Bay (Looks wonderful Jean...)
Wow, Looks very good Jean!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Quote:

Our QFC in Sequim orders them for me.

Quentucky Fried Chicken?

Duly copied. Sounds WONDERFUL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pasta Carbonara with Pork Belly & Peas by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh my lord! That looks amazing. I have GOT to get my hands on some pork bellies!
  Re: Re: Pasta Carbonara with Pork Belly & Peas by DFen911 (Oh my lord! That loo...)
Now how many weeks do I have for retirement?

Looks incredible, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pasta Carbonara with Pork Belly & Peas by Gourmet_Mom (Now how many weeks d...)
Soon, Daphne, soon!
www.achefsjourney.com