T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/28???
  Re: (...)
What's on the menu today for everyone.

I have a bottle of Malbec and l/o flank steak in the freezer = Fajitas!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/28??? by cjs (What's on the menu t...)
Thai Red Curry (Chicken). Looking forward to it.
  Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/28??? by cjs (What's on the menu t...)
I am just mulling that over right now.

I think I will crack open one of my spaghetti sauce jars from my recent canning. I want to try it. I probably will just serve spaghetti with sauce, no meat, and garlic bread. Pretty much a high carb meal. But oh well.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/28??? by luvnit (I am just mulling th...)
Steak was outrageous today, so I decided on London Broil instead. I think I'll try a trick I've heard you guys mention and grind up the leftovers, adding some small leftover ground chuck and ground turkey and use it for a taco salad tomorrow? Will this work? Baked potato and salad to go with the London Broil.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/28??? by Gourmet_Mom (Steak was outrageous...)
" Steak was outrageous today" Daphne, do you have a Cash & Carry near you?

check out the thread I just started about the NY strip I bought there yesterday.

Good luck with your sauce, Laura - I bet it will be delicious
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/28??? by cjs (" Steak was outrageo...)
No Cash and Carry, but $3.99 a pound at the local store right now?
Daphne
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/28??? by Gourmet_Mom (No Cash and Carry, b...)
Pizza night!
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/28??? by losblanos1 (Pizza night!...)
Just checked. They only exist in West Coast states.
Daphne
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/28??? by Gourmet_Mom (Just checked. They ...)
My own creation (though pretty simple): Pork Cutlets with Crunchy, Gardetto's-Rye Crust and Asian Dipping Sauce.

Haven't seen Gardeetto's in years, so imagine my surprise when I saw those familiar bags in a Honduran supermarket about a month ago.

Now imagine the greater surprise when, the other day, another supermarket had them on sale for half price!

Aside from the obvious snackworthiness, another idea also came to mind (probably from my watching Chopped regularly. Here's what I did:

First, take all of the rye-crisp rounds out of one 8.6-ounce bag of Gardetto's mix and crush them up, very finely, in the food processor. Next, pound out pieces of pork into cutlets a little less than 1/4 inch thick (you don't want them so thick that the crust will burn before the inside of the pork is done). Next, follow a standard breading procedure: flour, egg, crush rye crisps. Pan fry the cutlets in a mixture of olive oil and butter until bother sides are crispy and the pork reaches 165F inside. Finally, serve the cutlets with a dipping sauce made of Sriracha, soy sauce, rice-wine vinegar and honey - proportions to your liking (for me, it was about one part each of Sriracha, soy and vinegar to three parts honey).

YUM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: T.G.I.F. Dinner, 9/28??? by labradors (My own creation (tho...)
We put a pork shoulder in the smoker. Probably the last one of the season.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."