Curious about canned fish
  Re: (...)
This is generally a pretty good size section in the grocery store, yet I rarely buy anything except canned tuna, and occasionally salmon, clams, or anchovies.

Does anyone ever use kippered herring or mackeral? Or any of the lesser known canned fish? And what do you use it for? Any favorite recipes?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Curious about canned fish by Mare749 (This is generally a ...)
I haven't bought anything besides tuna and clams. But I did buy a can of baby shrimp from Trader Joe's the other day. Only because they were having a tasting demo - baby shrimp mixed with one of their fresh salsas, lime juice, lemon juice, S&P and diced avocado served with tortilla chips. It was pretty good. I'll make is an appetizer at some point.
  Re: Re: Curious about canned fish by Trixxee (I haven't bought any...)
Maryann, all I can offer is that most of that stuff used to be standard in William's truck during hunting season with boxes of crackers....LOL! Now that he has the camp, he hunts from the front porch and eats better....LOL! But to be honest, every now and then, he'll get an urge and buy some. But then, he'll eat almost anything!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Curious about canned fish by Gourmet_Mom (Maryann, all I can o...)
When we find them we get the Brunswick fish steaks in hot sauce! LOVE them.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Curious about canned fish by Harborwitch (When we find them we...)
And what do you do with them, Sharon? Sandwiches or with crackers?
Maryann

Re: Re: Curious about canned fish by Mare749 (And what do you do w...)
You've got me curious, Maryann. I must get more adventurous. Don't know why I haven't picked any of the 'off' ones up and played with them especially when I was working on the pantry book. dumb.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Curious about canned fish by Mare749 (And what do you do w...)
Fingers or crackers! LOL Maybe a fork if I have to share them.
  Re: Re: Curious about canned fish by Harborwitch (Fingers or crackers!...)
Guess I'll have to be trying those, Sharon. I remember having a dip one time that we really liked, but can't remember if it was with salmon or tuna, with cream cheese, a little grated onion, maybe dill, not real sure. This is the kind of thing I was looking for.
Maryann

Re: Re: Curious about canned fish by Mare749 (Guess I'll have to b...)
We like the canned red salmon for salmon pie and sometimes with a few matzo crachers for lunch...Peter likes the canned pilchards (sort of a bigger version of sardines---they really are smelly and disgusting!!! ) I have to use canned crabmeat (imported when I visit the States) because none here---crabcakes are a delight once in a while--an extravaganse.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Curious about canned fish by Mare749 (Guess I'll have to b...)
Maryann would this be it? From our fearless leader Jean!
This is really good. I made a version of it with smoked trout that was pretty good.

Norwegian Sardine Pate
8 servings

8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 3 1/4-oz cans boneless skinless sardines -- drained
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
capers
additional chopped parsley

Cream together first four ingredients. Mash sardines and beat into cheese mixture with parsley and hot sauce. Form into mound or desired shape. Garnish with capers and parsley. Serve with toast fingers, bread or crackers.