Looking for a salsa recipe to can
  Re: (...)
Just what it says, I (okay, Bruce) has canned about 70+ quarts of tomatoes and I (yup, me) have done 28 quarts of tomato juice so far. Now I would like to turn some of that bounty into salsa, but I would like to use a recipe that somebody else has had some success with. So if anyone has canned salsa and would like to share the recipe, I would be very grateful.

I love fresh salsa, but in my mind, cooking the tomatoes changes the taste, texture, etc., so I don't know how to adjust the proportions.

I am sure one of you guys has done this - Lorraine, Jean, Daphne? Help!!
  Re: Looking for a salsa recipe to can by iBcookin (Just what it says, ...)
Although I've never canned this, myself, I know that the following salsa cans well since it is basically the same as the Herdez brand of Salsa Casera. The one difference between this one and Herdez is that this one has garlic and,without knowing the exact acidity of the final salsa, it won't hurt to make it the same as Herdez by leaving out the garlic.

This stuff is so good I could actually drink it (and I HAVE done so, on numerous occasions, when I still had salsa left after running out of tortilla chips).

Salsa de Molcajete

Ingredients:
  • 5 Serrano Chiles
  • 2 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Large onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Finely chopped cilantro (or to taste)
Instructions:
  1. On a comal or iron skillet, roast the chiles and tomatoes for 7-8 minutes or until they are soft.
  2. Peel off and discard the burned skin from the tomatoes.
  3. In a molcajete (mortar and pestle), grind the chiles and garlic.
  4. Add the tomatoes, onions and cilantro and continue grinding, leaving a chunky texture.
  5. Add the salt.
  6. Serve in the molcajete or a small bowl.
It's funny, but I remember when I truly used to think that Pace and Old El Paso were really good salsas, but the first time I had Herdez was a revelation and I can't even imagine eating those others any more.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Looking for a salsa recipe to can by labradors (Although I've never ...)
I use this one from Kerr's canning book, but I seem to make it a little differently each time, so I know it's a great one to play with.

5 lbs. ripe tomatoes
3 cups chopped onions
1 cup seeded and chopped chili peppers (I usually do not seed or remove the membrane)
1 cup cider vinegar (labeled 5% acidity)
3 1/2 tsps. salt

Skin, core and chop the tomatoes. Bring all the ingredients to a boil, stirring often. Simmer 30 minutes or to the desired thickness. Fill the jars, blah, blah, blah...and process 15 minutes.

Over the years, I've added tomato paste, garlic, different chilies, cilantro and other Mexican flavors.

But, now I've copied Lab's - sounds delicious!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Looking for a salsa recipe to can by cjs (I use this one from ...)
I've used the Kerr one also.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Looking for a salsa recipe to can by Lorraine (I've used the Kerr o...)
Jean, can you not cann your Definitive Salsa recipe?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Looking for a salsa recipe to can by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, can you not ca...)
And that would be..... ?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Looking for a salsa recipe to can by BarbaraS (And that would be......)
You're right, Daphne - didn't I do that one year....geez, I so miss my mind!!

Here it is, Barbara - I just can't remember if I did can it or not...
Dave & Kathi Williams used to bring his salsa to our pig BBQs and everyone looked forward to it each year. Since I have to play with just about everything, I also had fun with this one, and now we have the definitive salsa. I hope Dave will approve.

Definitive Salsa

1/2 cup white or yellow onion, minced
1 lb. Roma tomatoes, diced
3 green onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
4 Serrano peppers, minced
1/2 to 1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 T. fresh lime juice

Place onion in strainer, rinse with hot water and drain. Thoroughly combine the onion with the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add a little more sugar if the tomatoes are acidic, but make sure the salsa does not taste of sugar. Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Looking for a salsa recipe to can by cjs (You're right, Daphne...)
This is the best salsa I've ever eaten!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Looking for a salsa recipe to can by Gourmet_Mom (This is the best sal...)
Why, thank you ma'am - I like it, too!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Looking for a salsa recipe to can by cjs (Why, thank you ma'am...)
Well duly noted and pegged!

In two weeks I'm meeting with "The Girls" and the host will be making tomato bruschetta with tomatoes from her garden. I'm giving them all a copy of the Bloody Mary Gratin for their remaining tomatoes.

It's going to be a hard meeting since two of the Girls lost their mothers within the past two weeks.

It sucks getting old.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.