ISSUE # 95 - Sept-Oct. 2012 Recipe Reviews
  Re: (...)
Time to start with the new issue...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: ISSUE # 95 - Sept-Oct. 2012 Recipe Reviews by cjs (Time to start with t...)
Well, the Eggplant Rollatini looks promising - if I can get Hubby to try eggplant. Do you normally use cottage cheese for the filling? I think I would prefer ricotta cheese.

Already have a go-to recipe for slow cooker beef stew.

Have no interest in gazillion-calorie "loaded potatoes".

Hubby does not like Chicken Pot Pie.

Might try my hand at making the Sticky Buns and bring them to work. And since Hubby has eased up on not trying shrimp, the Beer-Battered Shrimp might do. Deep-frying always makes something thaaaat much more desirable.

And I have a previous recipe for Oven Fried Chicken that does not involve pre-frying chicken in oil in a skillet and finishing in the oven.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 95 - Sept-Oct. 2012 Recipe Reviews by BarbaraS (Well, the Eggplant R...)
There's an Eggplant Rollatini in an older issue that we just love. If you like I can go find it so you can compare. I know it does not use cottage cheese, but ricotta and goat cheese (for which I sub Gorgonzola). It's pretty yummy and a great favorite around here
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 95 - Sept-Oct. 2012 Recipe Reviews by farnfam (There's an Eggplant ...)
That would help compare, Cis. Only if it's not too much trouble.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 95 - Sept-Oct. 2012 Recipe Reviews by farnfam (There's an Eggplant ...)
Quote:

...it does not use cottage cheese, but ricotta and goat cheese

We'll make a deal: I'll take all the goat cheese and you can have all the eggplant.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 95 - Sept-Oct. 2012 Recipe Reviews by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I finally got my new issue and it is starting out right for me – Loved the question about ‘ajvar.’ Looked up recipes and…it’s kind of confusing. Main ingredient is eggplant and roasted red bell peppers and sometimes chiles are included. But every recipe I found calls for either - bell pepper or chiles, but not together. But, I bet it would be good.

It’s a very similar dish to one I used to make while catering – Baba Ghannough – a great Middle Eastern dip that I served with Pita crisps or cracker bread.

Guess I’d better be planting some eggplants.

then I got to the meat of the magazine.
Good Lord, the ‘fully loaded baked potatoes’ have 781 cal. And 33g fat!!!!
Sesame Beef & Broccolini sounds good
I like the crust idea for the Chicken Pot Pie…will steal that for sure.
Fry…then bake chicken – why?

Well, looks like they are giving us a Back to the Basics Cooking magazine issue. Probably will help a lot of new cooks, but.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 95 - Sept-Oct. 2012 Recipe Reviews by cjs (I finally got my new...)
I did the pot pie and it was good. I did love the crust idea and it was nice and crispy. Husband does not care for puff pastry so I made the crust with pie dough.

The Cauliflower was quite good.

Made the Rollatini. Used cottage cheese. Will not make it again.

Trying the Rice Casserole today. Have it all together except for adding the sour cream. It is rather bland. Trying to decide what to spice it up with...

I have made the Breaded Port Tenerloin for several years. Recipe was given to me from someone in the Mid-West. I have never used cracker crumbs or dijon in the egg eggs. I use Panko and serve with mayo, lettuce and tomatoes....I will definitely try the cracker crumbs tho.... Maybe I will mix the two.

Anyone tried the Tex-Mex Lasagna?
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 95 - Sept-Oct. 2012 Recipe Reviews by jayneCA (I did the pot pie an...)
Well, hi there Jayne! Nice to see you again. It's been a while...Thank you for your reviews and comments. I'll add your notes to the recipes.

Don't be such a stranger!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 95 - Sept-Oct. 2012 Recipe Reviews by Mare749 (Well, hi there Jayne...)
I cannot comment on your comments---hopefully I will receive #95 soon----

GREAT to hear reviews from a newbie----hope to hear from you again soon, Jayne.....
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 95 - Sept-Oct. 2012 Recipe Reviews by Roxanne 21 (I cannot comment on ...)
Bob hasn't gotten his yet . . . . hopefully soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!