ISSUE # 94 - Jul/Aug 2012 Recipe Reviews
  Re: (...)
Shall we give it a try? I know many of you have made dish(es) from this issue already, but maybe we can collect some (or all) of your reviews and copy/post them here??

We'll keep this thread up until someone receives the next issue.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: ISSUE # 94 - Jul/Aug 2012 Recipe Reviews by cjs (Shall we give it a t...)
I'm game. Here goes!

This is from the latest issue, July/August 2012. When I tasted the dressing, I knew it was going to be a home run, even if the addition of lettuce in a pasta dish seemed to be a bit odd to me. The only change I made was to half the salad part, but keep the dressing recipe the same. It was good without the extra dressing but better with a little extra. I saved some of it for tomorrow in case it's a little dry tomorrow. This is a keeper! We give it a 10. Click below for a picture. YUMMY!

BLT Pasta Salad with Creamy Bacon Dressing
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 94 - Jul/Aug 2012 Recipe Reviews by Gourmet_Mom (I'm game. Here goes...)
Looks delish,Daph! Please include the recipe, it wouldbe such help if these recipes per issue, were all in one place
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 94 - Jul/Aug 2012 Recipe Reviews by farnfam (Looks delish,Daph! ...)
I'm having Internet issues right now, Cis. If I don't get it worked out soon, I'll take a page from Blane's book and post a link to a picture of the magazine page.
Daphne
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 94 - Jul/Aug 2012 Recipe Reviews by Gourmet_Mom (I'm having Internet ...)
Here you go Cis! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
(Note: I halved everything except dressing ingredients. I did not use all the dressing. I saved maybe a fourth for leftovers the next day. I'm getting ready to go find out how well it held up.)

BLT Pasta Salad with Creamy Bacon Dressing

Serves 20

1 lb. dry Campanella pasta
1 lb. thick cut bacon, diced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 T minced shallot
2 T minced fresh basil
2 T cider vinegar (I used rice wine, what I had)
2 t sugar
Salt and Black pepper to taste (I just peppered on the plate...no salt)
4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
4 cups halved grape tomatoes (stupid store only had cherry toms, so I quartered them)

Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Transfer pasta to (strainer in ) a bowl of ice water; drain well.

Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve 3 T of drippings; set aside to cool. (This is vital!)

Whisk together mayonnaise, reserved drippings, shallots, basil, vinegar, and sugar in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. (Again, didn't do this.)

Stir in pasta, romainne, tomatoes, and bacon; toss to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper. (Again, didn't.)

Side notes (abbreviated version)

To make one or two hours ahead, layer salad components with dressing on bottom. Toss when ready to eat.

To make a day ahead, keep salad components separate.
Daphne
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 94 - Jul/Aug 2012 Recipe Reviews by Gourmet_Mom (I'm having Internet ...)
Okay---now if I have this issue, everybody must!!!

I've done the Broiled Salmon with honey-mustard sauce, pg. 13. We enjoyed this for a change of pace with salmon. We have access to some really GREAT Norwegian salmon and because it is one of those "fatty", high in omegas fish, we will have fairly often.
Really quite simple and on the table within a half hour. The salmon was perfect at 7 minutes with a touch of crispness on the top. I used Dijon only---no spicy brown available.

We give this a solid 8+ and will pobably do again in the rotation of recipes for salmon. Calorie and carb values are within reasonable limits.

For the sauce, whisk:
2 TBS spicy brown mustard
2 TBS Dijon mustard
2 TBS honey
1 TBS evoo
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
1 TBS fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp. minced garlic

For the salmon, arrange:
4 salmon fillets, skinned (4-5 oz. each)
Juice 1/2 lemon
Salt and black pepper
Lemon slices
Fresh thyme sprigs

Preheat broiler with rack 6 inches from element. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with nonstick spray; set aside.

For the sauce, whisk together all ingredients; set aside.

For the salmon, arrange fillets on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with juice from 1/2 lemon and season with salt and pepper. Broild fillets until firm and cooked through, 5-7 minutes (perfect). Serve with sauce and lemon slices; garnish with thyme sprigs.

I served with a coleslaw instead of the broccoli slaw---I will have to work on a broccoli slaw due to the unavailability in the markets. I don't think it will be too difficult---just the correct proportions of the ingredients may be a little questionable

Also some roasted asparagus as a side.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 94 - Jul/Aug 2012 Recipe Reviews by Roxanne 21 (Okay---now if I have...)
Rox, just julienne peeled broccoli stems and add shredded carrots. Should work. That's if you have broccoli available? Save the tops for another dish.
Daphne
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 94 - Jul/Aug 2012 Recipe Reviews by Gourmet_Mom (Here you go Cis! I ...)
I looked at this today, Daphne and even though Peter is not a pasta fan, I think he may enjoy a bit of it along with some MEAT (maybe a steak?? or broiled chicken breast??)

The pile of to-dos is becoming a bit overwhelming---YIPPEE!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: ISSUE # 94 - Jul/Aug 2012 Recipe Reviews by Roxanne 21 (I looked at this tod...)
I agree Rox, the fall weather is upon us and I'm enjoying collecting warm meal ideas
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: ISSUE # 94 - Jul/Aug 2012 Recipe Reviews by cjs (Shall we give it a t...)
Well I have been making that Bloody Mary Tomato Gratin ever since I got the issue. I get a huge tomato and slice it into 4-5 thick slices and reheat and savor one of them every weeknight. Oh yeah.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.