ACF's CMC Grueling Examination Started Yesterday
  Re: (...)
I would so love to watch this certification testing - what a demanding testing this is and so interesting.

http://www.acfchefs.org/Content/Navigati...efault.htm

August 2, 2012

The CMC exam officially begins Aug. 4, but the first assignment has already been distributed. The candidates are making their way to The Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, N.Y., for the grueling eight-day exam. ACF wishes all the CMC candidates safe travels and much success!

Their first assignment -

Choose from the three nutrition market baskets assigned to the candidates and design a four-course menu that includes a hot appetizer, salad, main course and dessert incorporating all the items in the basket. When planning the menu, remember the meal cannot exceed 1,000 calories or 1,500 mg. of sodium. The balance should be 15-20% protein, 45-60% carbohydrates and 25-30% fat. And if that isn't challenging enough, your menu must serve 10 people and be completed in 4 1/2 hours with a 30-minute service window. Welcome to the Certified Master Chef exam!

Basket #1
3 Whole Ducks
1 Whole Cod
30 Oysters
Farro
Spaghetti Squash
Pistachios
Tangerines
Apples
Rhubarb
Lolla Rossa

Basket #2
Bone-In Pork Loin
Bone-In Skate Wing
30 PEI Mussels
Millet
Red Beets
Almonds
Peaches
Lemons
Plums
Bibb Lettuce

Basket #3
Lamb Saddle
1 Tile Fish
2 Lobsters
Amaranth
Macadamia Nuts
Jerusalem Artichokes
Strawberries
Pineapple
Papaya
Arugula

Guess it wasn't a stellar day method-wise, but menus sure sound good to me.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: ACF's CMC Grueling Examination Started Yesterday by cjs (I would so love to w...)
I'm loving the first basket, but the nutritional values would kill my....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: ACF's CMC Grueling Examination Started Yesterday by Gourmet_Mom (I'm loving the first...)
I love the first two items in basket #1. Otherwise, I'd go with #3. Haven't had tile fish in ages and it is SOOOOOO good!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: ACF's CMC Grueling Examination Started Yesterday by labradors (I love the first two...)
Okay---sooo I would have been eliminated in the first round---what on earth is Lolla Rosa, tile fish, amaranth--geesh--I've gotta get a life
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: ACF's CMC Grueling Examination Started Yesterday by Roxanne 21 (Okay---sooo I would ...)
Roxanne, there are under 100 chefs with the certification of CMC (Certified Master Chef) - and none of the 'celeb' chefs come close to this cert. Well, maybe Ming Tsai could qualify to take the certification.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ACF's CMC Grueling Examination Started Yesterday by cjs (Roxanne, there are u...)
Michael Rhuleman wrote about this in a book "The Soul of a Chef" - facinating and, yes, heart pounding. It was mind boggling to imagine how absolutely perfect everything had to be.

WOW - amazing ingredients. We tried amaranth - at least the leafy stage - it was not all that exciting to me. Beautiful but not all that tasty. Amaranth can also be a "grain".
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: ACF's CMC Grueling Examination Started Yesterday by Harborwitch (Michael Rhuleman wro...)
Oh my---I guess I have to do a bit of research on this---I wonder if my son-in-law (CHEF JAMES---the "renowned" one)is a CMC----I will check that out poste haste

AND tease and pressure and cajole and....
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: ACF's CMC Grueling Examination Started Yesterday by Roxanne 21 (Oh my---I guess I ha...)
Loved Ruhlman's books! I could not put that book down, his description of that process was just amazing. If I am not mistaken, if you are an exceptional student and happen to be in the system at the right time and place, you have the opportunity to assist. Can you imagine the incredible opportunity to work with these people - and the pressure!

Correct me if I am wrong, Jean, but you have to have so many years experience before you even attempt the test. Thank you Tim Ryan, who became the youngest chef to achieve the CMC, and then the requirements changed, assuring him of retaining that particular claim to fame indefinitely.

This is what I would love to see on a food channel!
  Re: Re: ACF's CMC Grueling Examination Started Yesterday by cjs (Roxanne, there are u...)
Quote:

Roxanne, there are under 100 chefs with the certification of CMC (Certified Master Chef) - and none of the 'celeb' chefs come close to this cert. Well, maybe Ming Tsai could qualify to take the certification.

Jean, do most CMCs teach? Are any at the great 4 star restaurants of the world? Thanks so much for this info!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: ACF's CMC Grueling Examination Started Yesterday by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Some do both, Bill - and I'm sure there is a list somewhere of where they all are. Yes, Linda - there are minimum years experience for every level of certification.

I'd give my eye teeth to be an apprentice for one of these testings!!!
www.achefsjourney.com