Sage
  Re: (...)
The sage is going crazy. What is the best way to preserve it. The parsley and mint are equally prolific. And praise be! I checked the basil pot and sure enough! I've got two plants coming in! YEA!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Sage by Gourmet_Mom (The sage is going cr...)
Quote:

The sage is going crazy. What is the best way to preserve it.

Send it to me and I'll "guard' it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sage by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Actually, you could try this:

[Image: Fried_Sage_with_Anchovies_001.jpg]

Fried Sage with Anchovies
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
  • Extra virgin olive oil for deep-frying
  • 12 Anchovy fillets
  • 24 Large, fresh sage leaves
  • 1 Egg, beaten
  • Flour for dredging
  • Salt to taste
Directions:
  1. Place an anchovy between two sage leaves, like a sandwich.
  2. Repeat until all the anchovies and sage leaves are used up.
  3. Dip the sage sandwiches into egg and dredge in flour.
  4. Shake off any excess flour.
  5. Gently place the sage leaves into the hot oil and let fry until golden and crispy.
  6. Transfer to a plate with an absorbent paper towel.
  7. Sprinkle with salt while the sage leaves are hot.
  8. Serve immediately.
(Source: David Rocco on Food Network Canada)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Sage by Gourmet_Mom (The sage is going cr...)

Sage freezes very well and unlike some herbs, the flavor remains or gets stronger. My plants are super prolific, I can use it year round, and come back on their own year after year, so I don't bother freezing any. I threw away an old plant onto a pot I was going to put in the trash, but forgot. Next time I looked, I had a new thriving plant.

My favorite recipe that calls for sage is Kenji's Chicken Canzanese. Second is sage and browned butter sauce.

I am including the chicken recipe because it is probably the best chicken I've ever made (and close to the best I've had) and it calls for lots of sage

CHICKEN CANZANESE

Prep. time (min):15
Servings:1

Ingredients
1 TBS. olive oil
2 oz. prosciutto (1/4 inch thick), cut into 1/4-inch
-- cubes (see note)
4 medium garlic cloves , sliced thin lengthwise
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about
-- 3 pounds), trimmed of excess fat and skin
Ground black pepper
2 tsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups dry white wine
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
4 whole cloves
1 (4-inch) sprig fresh rosemary , leaves
-- removed and minced fine (about 1/2 teaspoon),
-- stem reserved
12 whole fresh sage leaves
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 TBS. juice from 1 lemon
2 TBS. unsalted butter
kosher salt

Preparation
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325°F. Heat 1 tsp. oil in 12-inch heavy-bottomed ovensafe skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add prosciutto and cook, stirring frequently, until just starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add garlic slices and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is golden brown, about 1½ minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer garlic and prosciutto to small bowl and set aside. Do not rinse pan. 2. Increase heat to medium-high; add remaining 2 tsp. oil and heat until just smoking. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with ground black pepper. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook without moving until well browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Using tongs, turn chicken and brown on second side, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to large plate. 3. Remove all but 2 TBS. fat from pan. Sprinkle flour over fat and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Slowly add wine and broth; bring to simmer, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Cook until liquid is slightly reduced, 3 minutes. Stir in cloves, rosemary stem, sage leaves, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, and reserved prosciutto and garlic. Nestle chicken into liquid, skin side up (skin should be above surface of liquid), and bake, uncovered, until meat offers no resistance when poked with fork but is not falling off bones, about 1 hour 15 minutes. (Check chicken after 15 minutes; broth should be barely bubbling. If bubbling vigorously, reduce oven temperature to 300° degrees.) 4. Using tongs, transfer chicken to serving platter and tent with foil. Remove and discard sage leaves, rosemary stem, cloves, and bay leaves. Place skillet over high heat and bring sauce to boil. Cook until sauce is reduced to 1¼ cups, 2 to 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in minced rosemary, lemon juice, and butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce around chicken and serve. Comments: When seasoning the dish at the end, be mindful that the prosciutto adds a fair amount of salt. It is important to use a piece of thickly sliced prosciutto in this recipe; thin strips will become tough and stringy. An equal amount of thickly sliced pancetta or bacon can be used in place of the prosciutto. Serve the chicken with boiled potatoes, noodles, or polenta to absorb extra sauce

Recipe Author: Kenji Alt
Recipe Source: CI May 1, 2010
Web Page: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/...ocid=23635

Sent from my iPad.

Ps, my DSL is down so I could not copy it from Living Cookbook so the format is a bit wonky.
  Re: Re: Sage by Cubangirl ([br]Sage freezes ver...)
This sounds awesome! I've made the Pork Marsala so often in the past, I dreaded William's reaction if I made it again, so I have hesitated making it again...LOL! This is on the menu. Thanks!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Sage by Gourmet_Mom (This sounds awesome!...)
Daphne, don't forget ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PENNE AL BURRO!!

this is the garnish for the squash/penne dish above and or can be added to just about any dish.

"Sage Leaves garnish:
Heat the fry pan with ~1" veggie oil till a couple of drops of water sizzle.
Drop in individual leaves top side down - after 30-45 seconds, turn over and let just brown; remove quickly w/a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Set aside." And use to garnish just about anything - Pizza!

I've never had to freeze any sage because like Alina's mine goes all year round. But, this year the leaves are just exceptionally big and beautiful, so I may freeze some.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sage by Gourmet_Mom (This sounds awesome!...)
My sage grows year round, so I've never thought of freezing it.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Sage by Lorraine (My sage grows year r...)
We were posting at the same time, Lorraine - do you all ever use the fried sage leaves for garnish?? It is great - looks pretty and tastes wonderful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sage by Lorraine (My sage grows year r...)
The last two times I had a plant it was in with something else that crowded it out. Maybe this time it will hold it's own. I've never done the garnish for the penne, since my sage supply was limited. I think I'll try to cut back on fats for a few days and make it again with the garnish. That's one dish William is satisfied with a meatless dinner.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Sage by Gourmet_Mom (The last two times I...)
Just saw this in my new F&W, Daphne - YUM!

Sage-Rubbed Pork chops with Pickled Peach Relish
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sage-...ach-relish

Sounds and looks so good.
www.achefsjourney.com